This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

This week’s campus celebrity is Deanna Quirke who is the Guild’s Equality Rep, HCX invites you to find out what her role entails and what wisdom she has about getting involved in politics!

When did you first become involved in politics Deanna?

I come from good old Bristolian Labour stock, so the sentiment was installed from a rather young age. My first experience with local politics was being part of David Miliband’s Bristol campaign team in his Labour leadership bid, where I met some brilliant people and learned so much about grassroots politics. Although I’m now naturally more involved within Exeter, I still make time to go back to Bristol and campaign when I can as 2015 creeps closer.

What are the highlights of your role in the Guild?

Winning my DebSoc debut in their Fresher’s Debate on prostitution under my student rep label early on this term was pretty fantastic, but my first term as Gender Equality rep has been rather quiet! It has however been great to meet other student representatives and guild members- as well as getting to know everyone at Gender Equality Society more. I’m optimistic for next term due to the continuation of Socialist Students’ excellent ‘Rape is no joke’ campaign, and also March 8th’s Reclaim the Night march.

What advice would you give to other people looking to get involved in politics?

I’d say the first step is to make the jump and join the party that you most associate with. Local branches are always looking for door-knockers and letter-stuffers, as although it may seem far away, the race to election victory in 2015 has begun. They will also have committee and council positions available each year which you can be nominated to stand for, allowing you to play a bigger role in the local party. Also, at Exeter, we are so lucky to have such a brilliant political culture and you should definitely take advantage of the meetings and events that are held by the campaign-based societies.

You’re pretty glamorous, what are your top wardrobe/ styling tips?

I think no matter what clothes you wear, or how much make up you put on- a good look starts with nourished skin, manicured nails and healthy hair. I don’t scrimp on nice products, and I’m a strong believer in the fact that a good blow-dry can solve most of the world’s ills.

What was your favourite thing about the festive season?

The food and drink; cheeseboards, hot cocoa with Baileys, canapés, Snowballs , mince pies, lebkuchen, turkey with all the trimmings, all that selection box chocolate, nuts, seemingly bottomless tins of Roses and Quality Street, I could go on and on…