jazmin quaynor RBtPAOgHxuI unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jazmin quaynor RBtPAOgHxuI unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Dating On A Budget

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

The term ‘date’ often yields picturesque images of candlelit dinners and big bouquets of flowers. However, although these dates are undeniably romantic, they often eat up a sizable amount from the old student loan. With Christmas presents to buy, and annoying bills to pay the budget doesn’t always stretch to date night. Never fear your dating days are not over! For all those love birds out there, HCX thought we’d share some deliciously tempting date ideas which are both economically friendly and romantic.

1. Take a trip to the Princesshay Gardens:

The first of such decadent dates (without the loss of cash) is exploring the Princesshay Gardens. Take a walk past Exeter Castle and discover a horticulturalists dream with winding paths and beautiful scenery.  A stroll through the gardens is sweet and thoughtful and to top it off: entirely free! If you are feeling particularly romantic, why not add a twist by bringing a blanket and thermos of hot chocolate and enjoy your own winter picnic!

1. Take a trip to Exmouth:

For only £2.45 return you can whisk your loved one away for a beach break at the stunningly beautiful Jurassic Coast. Exmouth is a pretty seaside town with so much to offer on a fun filled day out. Take a stroll on the beach or romance your loved one on a cute swan pedalo. However, if you just want to relax, there are numerous quaint cafes which will serve you just right. Whatever you choose to do, you can’t deny the beauty of this location.  As they say “BEACH + DATE = ROMANTIC’ so this really is not one to miss.

1. “Let Them Drink Tea”:

For a more darling date within the city of Exeter which does not cost heaven and earth you can look to any one of the picturesque tea rooms which offer a huge range of cakes and delicious fancies. This really is a perfect romantic afternoon for two. The cream teas on offer at the Boston Tea Party are divine and at less than £5 are inexpensive culinary delights.

1. Go for Cocktails:

If a night out on the town is more your style there are many luxurious cocktail bars scattered around Exeter which do not break the bank. What is fantastic about a cocktail bar is they always have a lovely atmosphere and so will not fail to capture your loved ones heart. A great place for quality cocktails would be 44 Below, these inventive drinks are delicious and pretty to look at too! Set in cosy surroundings, this is perfect for a low key date night that does not cost a bomb! And of course, there’s our personal favourite and weekly haunt Oddfellows; read about our cute cocktail making evening here!

1. Head down to the Quay:

Finally, we could not have compiled a list of economically friendly dates in Exeter without mentioning our final destination. The waterfront by the quay is such a beautiful location. Take a stroll along the quay to get away from the ‘bustle’ of Exeter. Or sit at the Waterfront Restaurant and watch the eclectic selection of people wander past. They do a delicious mulled wine so get in the festive spirit and head down– it must not be missed!

There you have it, 5 date ideas that do not cripple your bank balance yet remain as romantic and cute as a 5 star restaurant! We are students after all, and not everyone can afford to woo their loved ones with chauffeur driven cars.  Therefore these budget friendly rendezvous’ may be exactly what you require; have fun and enjoy our beautiful city!

Photo Credits: http://royalbeaconhotel.wordpress.com/why-exmouth/ http://broadwayhouse.com/creamtea.html www.whickitblog.com