This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

Saying goodbye to sunny holidays, glowing tanned skin and effortless beachy hair is always upsetting, but here at HCX we like to see the positives in leaving summer behind. Whilst we dig out our favourite winter coats and snuggly scarves, we can’t wait to use the changing seasons as a chance to switch up our make-up routine.

When the colder months arrive, we see it as the perfect excuse to rock an autumnal berry lip. This is a trend that comes around year after year, and you can choose to opt for either a classic berry shade such as MAC’s Rebel, or dare to go seriously vampy with Revlon’s Va Va Violet. A statement lip always looks chic when worn with minimal make up on the eyes and just a little bit of blusher on the cheeks!

A combination of the cold air and being inside with the heating on sucks all of the moisture out of our skin, so it’s really important to remember to moisturise! Dewy skin looks fresh and modern, so try an illuminating primer such as Revlon’s Photoready Skinlights Face Illuminator, and finish your make-up by dusting some of theBalm’s Mary Lou-Manizer over your cheekbones to highlight and add dimension.

Summer tends to be about fuss-free, minimal makeup, but in autumn and winter you can afford to be a bit more dramatic with your looks. Here at HCX, we’re loving elongated cat flicks to draw attention to the eye (Collection’s Felt Tip Liner is amazing), and we can’t wait for the christmas season so that we can go crazy with glitter, either all over the eyelid or used subtly as an eyeliner.

For us, autumn and winter are all about ditching the bronzer. Instead, going for a subtle rosy blush looks fresh and cute, mimicking the colour your cheeks naturally flush on a crisp winter morning. If you use bronzer to add shape to your face in summer and don’t want to get rid of that for winter, we recommend using a cool toned contour such as Kevyn Aucoin‘s Sculpting Powder to help you achieve chiselled, supermodel cheekbones all year round.

Now you can head to Boots, stock up on some autumnal make-up, and get excited about the months ahead!

I am the new President of Her Campus Exeter. Last year I was a very enthusiastic Sex & Relationships editor, and I hope to be a magazine journalist. I'm slightly addicted to Diet Coke, and running to the fridge is my idea of exercise.