This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

If Prince Charming failed to sweep you off your feet this Valentine’s Day, HCX has the perfect solution. We have put together a list of alternative dating methods from blind dates to speed dating. After all, if the top, top of Timepiece is proving unsuccessful in finding your latest beau, perhaps it is time to explore other avenues…

[pagebreak]

Online Dating

With the increased presence of the internet in our day to day lives, it is really no surprise that people use it to improve their love life! Whilst this may seem unconventional, it is amazing how many relationships have actually started as a result of online dating. According to e-Harmony over 5% of relationships on the site lead to marriage.

Pros:

• The majority of people who are sign up for online dating are single and looking for a relationship. This means you will spend less time chasing boys who are very much taken and more time meeting guys who are available.
  • Online dating is excellent procrastination. University girls are busy ladies so browsing the internet for some talent definitely saves some precious time. Make use of that that 10 minute study break and find yourself a hot date.
  • There are dating sites for whatever you want. A serious relationship? e-Harmony. A casual hook up? Match.com. A Prada handbag? sugardaddie.com (Joking. Obviously. You want to find yourself a boyfriend, not become a high class escort).

Cons:

• Firstly, safety is a huge issue here. Remember, there are creeps on the internet. Not every guy you talk to will be who they say they are. We hear enough horror stories in the news about these kinds of things, so remember to be sensible and keep safe. Never give any personal details: address, mobile number or bank details. If you are unsure about whether a guy is who he says he is, organise a Skype chat with the person. If this can’t be arranged, decline meeting up with them. Better safe than sorry.
  • It’s less romantic. You miss out on the fun of getting to know someone naturally or having a great ‘first met’ story.
  • It can cost money to sign up to some sites which is not ideal for the frugal university student!

[pagebreak]

Date Auctions

These often seem more like a joke than a realistic way to meet a man – but why should that be true? If you think that this one is for you, then make your way to the Lemmy on the 18th February to bid for your favourite man for charity.

Pros:

• You get to see a lot of available men you know for certain are looking for a date in one place.
  • If you’re the one being auctioned, it’s a great feeling knowing that people are competing for a date with you!
  • You’ll meet guys who aren’t in your immediate social group, course, or year therefore expanding your dating horizons.

Cons:

• You’re paying for a date with a guy you may potentially have nothing in common with.
  • It can be awkward (but bear in mind everyone else feels that way too!)
  • There is always fear that no-one will bid on you. Unlikely as this is, this always a worry before you put yourself forward.  Relax- get a friend to start of the bidding and this will not be a problem!

[pagebreak]

Blind Dates

Her Campus doesn’t mean the Cilla Black version (although the prospect of a free holiday doesn’t sound too shabby). Does your best friend have a surplus of gorgeous males? Get her to send them your way…

Pros:

• It’s the perfect way to meet new people, and if you’re nervous about dating then it’s great experience.
  • They’re fun! Drinks with a gorgeous stranger? What could be wrong with that?
  • Doesn’t work out? Doesn’t matter. This guy isn’t in your immediate social circle, so the pressure is completely off, if you decide you never want to see him again!

Cons:

• What your friend thinks is the perfect date for you, and what you think is the perfect date for you are not always the same thing.
  •  A blind date has the potential to have a few awkward moments especially if you have nothing to say to one another. Take the pressure of by meeting up in a group of people, making the evening feel less ‘date-like’ and more casual.

[pagebreak]

Speed Dating

If the speed dating event during RAG week was right up your street, how about grabbing a group of single ladies and giving it another go. This might sound pretty cringe but is sure to be a great deal of fun.

Pros:

•  This is a fun way to meet you people from outside your social circle meaning if you don’t meet a potential boyfriend, you can definitely meet new friends.
  • The date is short and sweet so if there are no sparks, you don’t have to think of an excuse to leave.
  • Speed dating means you can meet a large number of single men in a short space of time. With speed dating, you don’t have to kiss a few frogs to meet your prince- you just have to talk to them for five minutes!

Cons:

•  Time constraints mean you don’t always have enough time to get to know a boy that you are hitting it off with.
  • Speed dating can be intimidating and a little competitive especially if it is clear all of you fancy the same man.
  • It makes dating a little less romantic as it is all based on compatibility tests and filling in forms. Filling in forms hardly makes for a thrilling first date.

There you have then, some helpful ways to meet new guys. If all else fails, HCX recommend taking a trip to Durham University which apparently has the highest rate of relationships leading to marriage in the country!

Photo Credits: www.tumblr.com, www.alwaysbetterwhenweretogther.xanga.com, www.statenews.com, www.matchdate.uk.com.