The 21st Century Meaning of the Poppy

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

The Poppy is a symbol well-known to most of the world, but especially the British. For most of November we don the paper flowers to show respect and support and to thank veterans and serving soldiers. Yet in a world where warfare is avoidable and so many lives have been lost already, the meaning of the poppy is beginning to be questioned. 

The 4th of August 2014 marks 100 years since the beginning of World War One, and on Tuesday 11th November we remembered the many millions who lost their lives while serving for their country. This year there has been extraordinary support, with the 888,246 poppies surrounding the Tower of London, now being sold, raising over £15 million for six service charities, including Help for Heroes and the Royal British Legion. The art installation titled ‘the blood-swept lands and seas of red’ was created by Paul Cummins and was set up with the help of 17,500 volunteers, and although temporary, quickly became an emotive landmark of London.

However, on the centenary of the start of the ‘Great War’, many people today question the validity of war in today’s society, shown by the campaign ‘Never Again’. A former soldier set up an organisation for veteran soldiers in 2008, known as ‘Veterans for Peace’, who this Remembrance Sunday led an alternative service, using a striking wreath of white poppies. These alternative symbols aim to represent all those killed in all wars (including civilians and foreign combatants) but the main purpose is to focus on the “true nature of warfare and to resist war and militarism through nonviolent action”. 

‘Veterans for Peace’ is a controversial organisation, but is it more fitting of the 21st Century? Many would argue that in a modern society we should not have to resort to physical violence, but can solve disputes rationally, without spilling blood. Following controversial wars such as Iraq and Afghanistan, it is likely that organisations that remember those who served while promoting peace are going to grow in popularity. 

However, some would argue that t-shirts carrying emotive slogans such as ‘war is organised murder’ are not appropriate for a service centre around respect and remembrance. Acts such as these could arguably distract the public from the traditional purpose of Remembrance Sunday.

Nevertheless, the white poppy campaign seems harmless compared to the bigoted, and in my opinion, disgusting use of the poppies by ‘Britain First’. The neo-fascist organisation are attempting to hijack the Poppy as an attempt to push their racist ideals on social media. Over 500,000 people have liked their page on Facebook due to emotive pictures and articles centred on veterans and remembrance. This blatant use of propaganda to help gain public support for an unrelated cause is ultimately damaging the reputation of ‘the poppy’, when their real motives are racism, fascism and what they describe as ‘invasions’ of local mosques. The sad irony of this unacceptable takeover of the meaning of the poppy is that it undermines everything that our soldiers fought/are fighting for.

Hence it is clear that in the 21st century the meaning of the poppy is becoming increasingly ambiguous. The support for the Tower of London installation is encouraging, yet for many the poppy is either irrelevant, racist propaganda or a thing of the past. So what does the poppy mean to you; an iconic show of remembrance, an outdated emblem needing to be replaced with a sign of peace, or a symbol that is being used for destructive purposes? 

Sources: bbc.co.uk/news; telegraph.co.uk

I'm Lucy Tillott, a 19 year old Liberal Arts student at the University of Exeter, but am originally from Birmingham. I am studying English and Politics and love getting into debates, which is probably why I am the Current Affairs editor of the Exeter chapter of HerCampus. I was a writer for the current affairs section of HerCampus last year, and loved the opportunity to write every week, make friends, and involve myself in the comradery of HerCampus. I hope to be heavily involved with the thriving community of Exeter HerCampus while sparking an interest in current affairs in our readers.