etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Ways For Girls To Support Girls

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Endicott chapter.

Ways For Girls To Support Girls

Girls can be extremely petty and competitive with each other in all different aspects of life whether it is academics, socially, or athletically. I think many times this is because we compare ourselves to others and build up insecurities that can sometimes be taken out in the wrong way. I know everyone has been jealous of someone else at least once in their life, it is a natural feeling! I know I catch myself looking at beautiful girls all the time wishing I had what they did. Although, I definitely try to build others up instead of breaking them down due to my own insecurities. I am also constantly working to own my insecurities on the path to self-love, which I encourage all girls to do for themselves as well. This world has been so historically degrading to women that we need to start empowering and protecting each other. We cannot break each other down because it tells men that they can do the same to us. Let’s stick together because empowered women, empower women. Here are some ways for girls to support girls!

1. The Basics

These are the most common rules that all girlies should know or have probably heard at some point in their life. A) If you see a girl looking uncomfortable with a guy, find a creative way to pull her out of the situation. B) If you see a girl alone at a party or anywhere sketchy, ask her if she is okay. But regardless if it is a sketchy situation or not, sometimes it’s nice to just check in anyways. Be looking out for your girls!

1. No More Slut Shaming!

No no no judging girls for wearing revealing or tight clothing. No judging girls for sleeping with someone. Everyone has the right to wear and do what they please, and everyone needs to respect that. We talk about this double standard with boys being praised for ‘sleeping around’ and girls being called sluts. So change this trend and have a positive outlook. If a girl wants to sleep with Brian from Physics then YES GET IT. If she wants to wear a tight dress YES WORK IT. If she wants to stay in and study all night YES GET THOSE A’s. Support their decisions and let girls do what makes them happy – It will make you feel a lot better inside as well!

3. Be mindful of Your Own and Others Insecurities

Often times when girls are putting other girls down it involves both their own and the other’s insecurities. Everyone has their own insecurities and sometimes it is easy to pick on others and not think about their inner feelings. No more saying others are ‘too fat’ or ‘too skinny.’ Everyone’s body is beautiful in their own way. We have to learn to drop the competition with others and learn to love ourselves. The jealousy will only hurt you because it is known to ruin relationships and friendships – plus it’s an overall stressful feeling. You just have to focus on loving yourself and appreciating the lovely girls around you.

4. Compliments Compliments Compliments

I’m not sure about you but when a girl compliments me it feels 100X better than when a guy does! It just doesn’t happen enough. When you can, just toss a compliment to a girl near you whether it’s her outfit, hair, makeup, smile, even a cool water bottle! It’s something that is going to make her day and seeing the smile on her face when you compliment her is probably going to make you feel just as good.