This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Endicott chapter.

Let me start by saying, if you haven’t watched Gilmore Girls, you have no idea what you’re missing out on. I mean really, who hasn’t dreamed of being the mother-daughter duo of Rory, actress Alexis Bledel, and Lorelai Gilmore, Lauren Graham? Located in a Star Hollow, a small, close-knit town in Connecticut, the series follows the lives and relationships of a single mother, Lorelai, and her daughter, Rory. This series is filled with laughter, love, friendship and family, both good and bad. A large focus of Gilmore Girls, is the divide between social class. Lorelai’s parents, Rory’s grandparents, Richard, played by Edward Herrmann, and Emily, Kelly Bishop, come from old money and have high social standards, which for the most part, Lorelai does not meet. The main reason for this is because she becomes pregnant with Rory at the age of sixteen. Lorelai leaves home, barely speaking to her parents, and develops a mother-daughter-like relationship with the owner of the Inn she currently works for. This created long-lasting tension between Lorelai and her parents, which quickly changes when Rory begins private school and they fund her tuition. The requirement for doing so, is that both girls attend family dinner every Friday night. This forces new relationships to form and old ones to merge, developing the backbone to the entire plot of the show.

Lorelai and Rory live together in a small, adorable house in a small town where everybody knows everyone and everything. Both coffee addicts, both charming personalities, the show follows the lives of the two as they maneuver their way through a crazy life. Rory’s best friend, and side kick, Lane, played by Keiko Agena, is treated like family, as she tries to break free from her strict mother’s grip. Lorelai, who works as a manager for a local Inn, is best friends with the head chef, Sookie, actress Melissa McCarthy. The two regularly attend a diner in town called Luke’s, owned by Luke, Scott Patterson, who acts as a fathering role to Rory and a close friend to Lorelai.

The series focuses on the ambitions of both Lorelai and Rory and how the two help each other and others achieve their goals. Rory strives to attend an ivy league school and become a journalist, and Lorelai wants to own and run her own Inn with her best friend Sookie. The two also struggle with relationships and love. Rory falls for Luke’s nephew, bad boy Jess, played by Milo Ventimiglia, Dean, actor Jared Padalecki, who is her first official boyfriend and lives in her hometown, and later, a daredevil, Logan, played by Matt Czuchry. While on the other hand, Lorelai battles her feelings for Rory’s father, Christopher, David Sutcliffe, and long-time friend Luke. Overall, Gilmore Girls is a show that will make you laugh and make you cry. This show has multiple seasons, and is followed by a Netflix original series “Gilmore Girls: a Year in the Life”. If you’re looking for a show you can seriously invest in, this is the one for you. Allow yourself to follow and live vicariously through the unpredictable lives of the Gilmores.

Riley Jenson

Endicott '20

I am a senior at Endicott with a major in Marketing Communication/Advertising and a minor in Professional Writing. I'm passionate about writing and the fashion industry. My dream is to move to New York City.
Eva Graef

Endicott