How to Get Out of Your Sixth Week Slump

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Endicott chapter.

So it’s the 6th week of the semester. You’re finally settled in, found your stride in classes, and figured out your daily routines. This is also the point, however, where the “college plague” sneaks up on you due to stress, too many nights out, and lack of sleep. You’re trying to decide if its worth it to go out this Friday, if you know you have a ton of work to do and three tests next week. It’s that point where professors and coaches show no mercy. You’re no longer transitioning back, you’re tackling the college life head on again. It’s easy to get down on yourself. See the looming few weeks ahead in your planner and wonder “how the hell am I gonna survive this?” Thanksgiving is still over a month away, and there seems to be no light at the end of the tunnel. Hey, I get it. I’m here too. Right now. You’re not alone. If you ever start to feel that anxiety creep up on you, and you ask yourself the all important “why am I here?” and “what does it all mean?” questions, here are a few tips to help you get out of that slump. 

1. Immune System Boosters I’m not trying to push drugs on you, believe me, but it’s important to catch that plague right as it first hits you and not after its left you for dead after a week. As soon as you start to feel that stuffy nose or sore throat creep up, you need to take care of your body, fast. Taking immune boosters like Zicam or Airborne religiously can fight your sickness before it really begins. Or even chug some orange juice or other drink rich in vitamin C, or make some herbal tea. Rather than reach for your coffee, relying on your caffeine to wake you up and make you feel well enough to get through that one last class, consider the alternatives. 

2. Find Your De-Stressor Whether its going to the gym, cracking open your coloring, opening a good book, or binging Grey’s Anatomy until the Netflix screen reads “Are you still watching?”, it’s crucial for you to carve out some time to yourself. Even if you feel overwhelmed with homework and responsibilities, you’ll go insane if you don’t take a break and focus on you. Carve out an hour a day, whether it’s between classes or before you go to bed, where you give your brain a much needed rest.

3. Talk to People Call your mom. Or your grandma. Or sit down with your roommates. Let it out. Tell them how stressed you are, and use them as an outlet. Don’t bottle up your emotions and feel like your a burden. If you’re with your friends, vent, and them let them vent to you in return. It’s like a little makeshift therapy session. You’ll find that you’re not the only one freaking out about that big test next week. Plus, moms know the answers to everything; it doesn’t’t hurt to check in every once in a while.

4. Sleep Sleep is so important. Even if it means hitting the library after your 8am the next day in order to gain that extra hour of sleep the night before, you’ll have much more energy and be way more attentive and productive. I promise you, no one will think you’re lame if your light is off before 10:00 P.M. a few nights a week. Get in those 8 hours, or at least shoot for 6. 

5. Make a List and Take Things One Step at a Time Rank your assignments in your planner by importance, time it will take, and due date. Plug away at that dreaded essay a little bit each day, and it won’t seem as scary when you sit down to finish it the night before it’s due. Rather than looking at the whole week or month ahead, take things day by day, or even hour by hour. It can be overwhelming to look at the big picture, so start off with completing each of the small pieces one by one. 

Born and raised in Maine. Sophomore. Marketing Communications major. Endicott College Dance Team.
Eva Graef

Endicott