Pros and Cons: Having a Car on Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emory chapter.

Cars are a luxury that many of us spend a great deal of time driving. Almost all teenagers anxiously await the
moment when they can get their license and gain independence. But on a college campus is it really necessary for students to have a car? There is no question that there are many benefits of having your own car in college; however, there are also some drawbacks to be considered.

Pros:

Convenience
Rather thanwalking everywhere or paying for cabs, with your own car you can simply drive yourself. Having a car is helpful when running errands such as going to the bank, mall, or grocery store.

Independence
With your own car, you no longer have to ask people for rides and feel guilty. Also, it means you don’t owe anyone any gas money and you can go as you please according to your own schedule.

Bursting the Bubble
And most importantly, you can get out of the “college bubble.” Often students without cars are stuck on campus.
However, with your own car you can take road trips and go to unforgettable events such as Mardi Gras. Also, get to know the city! Emory Village doesn’t do Atlanta justice. With a car, you can get out and explore new areas such as Buckhead or downtown.

Friends
Do not discount the fact that having a car will help you make friends. I mean who wouldn’t want to be on good terms with you when you have access to free, convenient transportation?

Extra Cash
For those you don’t want to be friends with 

anyways, you might as well earn something in return for drivingthem places. Bring in some income! Having a car means you can charge students for the ride; trust me you will still be cheaper than a cab!

Cons:

Moochers
Having a car means others will now depend on you to take them places. It also means you will waste gas to take
other people to buy food or to go on a beer run. And you can’t very well say no, right? Not only will you become a personal chauffer, but I can also promise you that people will ask to borrow your car. So, that means you must make the decision of allowing that person to drive your car and be the bearer of bad news when your response is no.

Costs and Distractions
Be prepared to start working. Unless you have parents willing to pay for your gas bills start saving your money now to incur the extra costs. Not only will a great deal of your time be taken up by working but let’s be honest, with a car and complete freedom how much time will you actually spend on campus studying? My guess would be not very much.

Transporting Your Car
Your car won’t just magically appear in Atlanta. If you don’t live relatively close to campus, it can be costly to
bring your car to school. Spending countless hours (sometimes multiple days) driving to Atlanta or paying around $500 to ship your car here is a hassle.

Parking Costs
Not only is it costly to transport your vehicle, but parking on campus can be quite expensive. Here at Emory it costs $660 annually for student parking—and unless you get Peavine, you’ll probably end up paying for visitor parking most days when you find out how much closer it is to your classes.

Alternatives!
Therefore, it is important to recognize that having a car on campus is not an absolute necessity. There are always other way to get around. Call a taxi if you must, take advantage of the Emory Shuttle, and learn your way around MARTA.

In Atlanta a more expensive (in the short term, at least) but convenient way to travel is in a taxi. However, if this is too pricey there are more affordable options. The Emory shuttles are free for Emory University students, which is a plus despite their limited routes. There also is the Marta, which is very inexpensive, though it does tend to be a bit more complicated as far as having to take both a shuttle and a train.

Be sure to weigh the pros and cons before to committing to having a car on campus.