10 Steps to Surviving Your First Semester at Emory

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emory chapter.

Entering college as a freshman is quite possibly the most terrifying – and exciting – time of your life.  It is your one opportunity to start fresh in a new environment with all of these people you’ve never met.  It may seem overwhelming, but have no fear, because I’m here with 10 steps to surviving your first semester at Emory.  Get ready; this is going to be the start of an amazing four years!

1. Let the friendships flow naturally

Although some people will meet their “Day 1” girls at the beginning of the school year, it’s important to remember that this doesn’t happen for everyone.  Especially during Orientation and the first few weeks of school, freshmen will generally stick to the first people they meet and form quick cliques.  You will likely see way too many pics of freshman girls in black skirts and heels gathered together for a pregame and acting like they’re already best friends.  Don’t be discouraged by this if you haven’t formed your crew yet. It will take time, but ultimately you will find your family here and be happy that you didn’t settle for people who aren’t perfect for you

2. Get to know your professors

Get personal with your professors – I’m sure your parents have all droned on and on about the importance of attending your professors’ office hours.  And they’re right.  Even if you just stop in to say hello, having a personal conversation with your profs will help you in more ways than one.  At the end of the semester when you’re struggling and need just a half point to bump you to an A, your professor will be significantly more likely to help out if they actually recognize your face.  Also, are you interested in finding a summer internship?  Most applications will require a professional recommendation, and who better to write you a stellar one than that professor who knows how responsible, kind, and smart you are!

3. Keep yourself busy

As tempting as it may be to spend your spare time cuddled up in bed and watching Netflix, the best way to make the most out of your time here is to get out and get involved.  You probably spent the past four years of high school as an overachiever, and maybe you’re burnt out.  But getting involved is one of the best ways to meet people with similar interests and to help you make an impact on the school.  If you’re part of organizations that you are truly passionate about, it won’t feel like work and it will help you find your niche.

4. Keep an open mind about going out

Although it may seem like everyone at this school spends their nights at the beloved Maggie’s Neighborhood Bar and Grill, this is not actually the case.  If you’re not into the bar scene, that’s cool.  If you want to try something new and go a little crazy (but not too crazy), that’s cool too. Don’t feel pressure to do anything you’re not comfortable with, and remember that there is always someone to be with and something to do that doesn’t involve getting shoved around at Mag’s and waking up with cigarette smoke scented hair.

5.Stay healthy and find alone time

With hours of classes, homework, friends, clubs, relationships, and going out, it can be difficult to make time for yourself.  While it is important to stay busy, finding a balance is equally as important. Even just taking an hour for a solo Woodpec session and sweating it out or watching tv and lettting yourself unwind,  I promise that it can make a big difference in your overall wellbeing.

6. Establish rules with your roommate

For many people college is the first time they will have to share a space, and living with another person is definitely a learning process.  Although some people find that their freshman year roommate is their soul mate and friend for life, for most this doesn’t happen.  You will hear it over and over again, but you do not have to be best friends with your roommate.  As long as you are respectful and considerate of one another, having separate friend groups and activities outside of the room is actually a great scenario.  It’s also important to establish rules about lights out, having guests, cleaning, etc. at the beginning of the year.  Whether you’re friends or not, these rules will remain in place and you’ll still be able to feel comfortable in your room.

7. Use time between classes for work

Everybody’s schedules are configured differently, but most people will find that they have a block of time between classes with no planned activities.  Going back to your dorm room for a mid-day nap is always an option, but I have found that utilizing this time to catch up on homework or begin assignments is way more beneficial.  Breaking up your work throughout the day will prevent you from getting stressed at night by the prospect of a multi-hour assignment that needs to be completed, and you’ll have more time to do fun things like hang out with your friends.  In addition, your brain is already in work-mode from classes, so you’ll likely be able to study more efficiently and finish assignments quicker during the day.

8. Keep your room and supplies organized

College life is extremely hectic and having a messy space and backpack only contributes to the stress.  Find a little time each day (maybe 5 minutes before you go to sleep) to put away your laundry and clear off your desk and floor.  This way you’ll be able to wake up in a clean space and feel more prepared for the day.  Equally as important as maintaining a clean room is keeping your school supplies and papers organized.  Color-coding your notebooks and folders is always fun and will make it easier to find your materials for class.  Also, try to stay on top of your assignments and test dates by creating a daily and weekly schedule in your planner.  This way you can look ahead and plan accordingly so you don’t have to pull an all-nighter at Club Libz.

9. Call your parents

Finally after 18 years under your parents’ roofs, you’re free! It’s so easy to go about your days with your friends and leave your parents on the back burner, but don’t forget about the people who love you most and who probably spent the entire ride home after move-in bawling their eyes out.  Call them!  It doesn’t have to be every day, but keeping your parents up-to-date with your life will seriously make them so happy.  Catching up will also allow you to reflect on what’s been going on at school and what your most excited about.  Additionally, your parents can give you an outside perspective on any problems you may be dealing with.

10. Try not to stress and enjoy

There are very few times that your life will be completely flipped around and (to quote High School Musical), it’s the start of something new.  Freshman year is exhilarating, challenging, and a completely unique experience.  So make the most out of it!  There will be ups and downs for everyone, but overall try not to stress too much and appreciate each day, because before you know it a year will go by and you’ll have a huge Facebook album of photos and tons of incredible memories to look back on.  Enjoy your first semester and year in the ATL; there’s so much more to come.