We Need to Talk About Kim Kardashian

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emmanuel chapter.

On Sunday night, Kim Kardashian was robbed at gunpoint in her private Paris residence. While Kim wasn’t hurt, the robbers made off with millions of dollars worth in Kardashian jewels. So far, there aren’t any viable leads as to who the perpetrators were. Some believe the residence’s concierge or Kim’s body guard are at fault. Luckily, although claiming to be “freaked out”, Kim and her family are together and have done their best to move forward from this nightmare.

So, why does this matter to us? Why should we care that someone who makes billions of dollars got stolen from? She certainly has enough money to move on, so why is everyone making such a fuss? The fact of the matter is, it’s not about who it happened to. It’s about the negativity from the general public surrounding the incident. This is not a joke; this was not a publicity stunt; and this is something society should be taking seriously. This incident was not “meme” worthy. It isn’t something people ought to make fun of because of the belief that “Kim Kardashian is nothing but a sex tape, and that’s all she’ll ever be.” Kim is a human being just like everyone else. Not only is she a person, but she is a mother, a daughter, a wife, and a sister. She’s a successful business woman who supports her family, so why is it that people take pleasure in her suffering?

This entire situation should be causing our nation to rethink its’ priorities. Are we really so shallow that we feel the need to joke about someone else’s personal tragedies? How is it that we find it appropriate to say things like “She’s shows off too much, no wonder she was robbed!” Well, I hate to break it to you guys, but it’s not okay. It’s ILLEGAL.

Our society should be ashamed at how it has handled the news of the Kardashian robbery. There was a possibility that Kim could have lost her life. That her children would have been left motherless, and her fans could have lost their role model. I’m not saying Kim K is a saint. Heck, there are times when I watch recaps of KUWTK and I think to myself, “Oh my God, she is such an embarrassment,” but she sure as hell is entertaining. And who are we to judge her for her mistakes? I’m not perfect, she’s not perfect, and you’re not perfect. Keep your snarky jokes and negativity to yourself. Luckily, Kim has a thick skin. But something tells me, if general members of our society were in her situation, this would be no laughing matter.

Makenzie is a current Senior at Emmanuel College studying Communications + Media Cultural Studies and Performing Arts. (Try saying that three times fast...) She's been a part of her school's Her Campus chapter since it's very first semester, and has been chapter advising for 2 years. Makenzie is also a National Writer for HC's beauty section, Campus Trendsetter, and former HC Community Development Intern. Makenzie is incredibly excited to be finishing up her last semester as Co-Campus Correspondent of HC Emmanuel. Interested in joining yourself? Hit her up anytime! 
Her Campus Emmanuel