Net Neutrality: Everything You Need to Know

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emmanuel chapter.

So as I’m writing this, it’s only been a few hours since the Federal Communications Commission or  FCC voted 3-2 in favor of repealing Net Neutrality.  This is ahuge deal to many  Americans, evident by the over 1 million people who contacted their congressmen about preserving Net Neutrality. Despite the fact that it’s been all over the internet and news, many people are still asking the question: What even is Net Neutrality?

Let me explain.

Essentially, Net Neutrality ensures that all data and sites on the internet are treated equally. It makes sure that internet providers, like AT&T, can’t charge companies to send information faster. This could benefit big corporations such as Forever 21, who could afford to pay the prices that would keep their websites reliable and up and running; however, it could be detrimental to small clothing boutiques run independently. It also keeps the consumers from having to pay to utilize and access the internet. Net Neutrality is the way that the internet has always been run: out of corporate hands and free for anyone to use with the exception of sites that provide paid services like Netflix.

(If you want to learn more, watch John Oliver’s video about it.)

The repeal of this could mean that despite what millions of Americans want, the internet could change drastically. Google searches could be charged, social media platforms would require a monthly fee, and internet providers would have a stronghold on the content we receive and how fast we get it.

This should not be a partisan issue. Internet access should be equal to all those who have access to it, just like it has always been. This article was written on google docs and posted to an online magazine, then shared on a social media platform. It affects you too.

While the vote doesn’t change anything in the immediate future, if the plan goes through, millions of lives would be changed. In the meantime, while we still have time, call your Senator or State rep and let them know how you feel about this issue. We still have time to keep the internet neutral.

Here is a link to find the number you can call:

https://www.callmycongress.com/

Victoria Dias

Emmanuel '20

Theater and Communications Major. Dog Lover. Amateur Writer. 
Gianna is a freshman at Emmanuel College and is really excited to see what this year has in store for her. Along with writing for Her Campus, Gianna participates in Yoga Club, Zumba Club, and Colleges of the Fenway Dance Project. In her free time, you will most likely find her watching Friends and sipping tea out of her Central Perk mug.