The Inside Scoop on Matteo Pocobene’s College Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emmanuel chapter.

I was lucky enough to sit down with one of my closest friends here at Emmanuel, who also happens to be one of the most beloved RAs on campus. RA, what an intimidating title right? I have gotten to know Matteo on so many levels and I can honestly say he has embodied this role in the best and most unique way possible – not your typical RA to say the least. Read more to get the inside scoop on his college experience over these past four years!

Major– Psychology with a Neuroscience concentration

Zodiac Sign– Taurus

Dream Job– Professional Golfer

Celebrity Role Model– Emma Watson

Let’s start off with an easy question. What made you want to be an RA in the first place?

Matteo Pocobene: I really like getting to know people and bringing people together. I also love being a person that others can come to, like a big brother type figure. So I kind of knew being an RA would let me do all of these things.

What is one of your favorite memories from your past three years as an RA?

MP: Can we just talk about the Loretto flood? Last year on the 2nd floor of Loretto hall we had a couple of really awesome guys who, one evening, were throwing a football around in the hallway. One of them managed to hit a sprinkler head which lead to water gushing everywhere. It’s really funny to look back at it now. It was surprisingly a bonding moment for me with a lot of the guys on my floor. It was nice to be able to stay calm in a stressful situation and enjoy everyone’s reactions amidst the chaos.

What advice would you give to those who have to balance such an important role with their school work, social life, and other responsibilities?

MP: Definitely be good at time management. I am terrible at it but somehow have struggled through to the finish line! There are a lot of unexpected circumstances that happen but that’s part of how learning how life works. Be able to adapt to things and stay true to your core values.

Now there’s always the assumption that RAs don’t get to have much fun. You and I both know this isn’t true. What would you say is one of the best things to do around Boston?

MP: I love going to sport games and Boston has been the best place for this. I love the atmosphere in the stands and the crazy fans.

And you’re 21 so you get the full experience of the night life. What’s your go-to bar on a Thursday night?

MP: The Draft in Allston, without a doubt. You can’t beat $5 pitchers and $1 sliders.

I know you go to a lot of concerts too. What’s one of the best ones you’ve been to in the city?

MP: Some of the bigger ones I’ve been to are U2 and Imagine Dragons but I also love the smaller venues, like Royale and House of Blues. I’ve been able to see X Ambassadors and Cold War Kids right down the street. I love the intimacy of small concerts.

We can both agree food is a crucial aspect of surviving college (and saving ourselves after a night out). What’s your favorite underrated place to eat and where can we find it?

MP: I love Rod Dee 2 on Peterborough. (Thai Food) But if we’re talking like super late night finds then obviously College Pizza. You can’t beat their buffalo chicken pizza.

You were captain of the golf team this past year. How has playing a sport influenced your college experience?

MP: It definitely had the biggest impact on me coming into school. I automatically had a friend group so it made my transition really easy in that aspect. Overall school can be pretty stressful and it’s awesome to be able to have something that you really enjoy doing and get off of campus every afternoon during golf season. I’ve also met some of my best friends from being on the team.

Who would you say has helped you survive and thrive in your college experience?

MP: There are so many people who have impacted my time here but a few that come to mind have to be Barrett for his big bear hugs and great advice, Mary for her unwavering support, and of course the Kelton boys, crazy Dave, and my Loretto family. #RUSHKELTON

And I always save this question for last, what is your favorite quote?

MP: “Courage doesn’t always roar. Sometimes courage is the little voice at the end of the day that says I will try again tomorrow. “

Thank you for your honest answers and of course your friendship. I’m excited to see where the future takes you!

Autumn believes in a combination of hard work and magical thinking. True to her Libra ways, she embraces balance in all aspects of life and enjoys connecting with others. Specializing in Marketing Management, she thrives in helping brands build their platforms through authentic and inspiring content. Find more on Instagram: @aduslayy
Her Campus Emmanuel