How to Celebrate Valentine’s Day Without a Label

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emmanuel chapter.

Since I can remember, Valentine’s Day has always been discussed either in the context of being in a relationship or being single. But what are you supposed to do if you’re in the throes of being wooed, or testing the waters with someone, without any talk of exclusivity? You may not want to scare them off with anything too heavy, but it could be damaging not to acknowledge the day at all. Here are some ways to make this Hallmark Holiday work for you in the in-between!

1. If you want to do gifts, try an experience, or something to use together!

The stuff we get from significant others can sometimes become clutter– we probably all have at least a few things scattered around from our previous relationships (shout out to the pug magnet I couldn’t get rid of that says “Exercise? I Thought You Said, Extra Fries!”). When you’re with someone new, the best dates are the ones where you do something fun, and maybe learn about a shared hobby in the process. Instead of exchanging physical items, get tickets to a show or get food at a cool new restaurant. I can guarantee they’ll appreciate making memories with you as much as anything you can buy for them!

2. A casual group date can be a lot less stressful.

Group dates, or even getting a bunch of friends together, can be a nice way to celebrate all different kinds of love and affection on Valentine’s Day. Have a game night, and a lot of that social pressure to do something special in a new dating experience will go away!

3. Don’t take anything too seriously!

Figuring out how to deal with the uncomfortable with a laugh can be great. As someone who uses humor as a constant defense mechanism as well as an icebreaker, even sending your date a dank meme or cheesy dog picture is a way to acknowledge that this universally ridiculed holiday exists. It may also pave the way for further conversation about taking next steps, if that’s in the cards!

Hopefully these are all ways to approach Valentine’s Day with your new…someone, in a way that isn’t too overwhelming! And don’t forget to pamper all those you care for this Valentine’s Day.

Emily is a senior *gulps* at Emmanuel College with a great passion for psychology, writing, and theatre. She loves animals, movies, museums, and smiling. Bukowski is her favorite poet, and she identifies with Tina Belcher on a very strong spiritual level. 
Gianna is a freshman at Emmanuel College and is really excited to see what this year has in store for her. Along with writing for Her Campus, Gianna participates in Yoga Club, Zumba Club, and Colleges of the Fenway Dance Project. In her free time, you will most likely find her watching Friends and sipping tea out of her Central Perk mug.