What Does Your Dorm Room Say About You?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

Leaving home for college has many perks. The new sense of independence. No parents. Eating all the junk food you want. For some people though like myself the chance to decorate a new room is one of the best things about college. Like snowflakes, no dorm room is exactly the same. Even if the girl on the 12th floor has the same bedding as you, your room is your individual sanctuary. That being said, people will oftentimes judge you on your dorm room and what it looks like. But what are they actually thinking when they enter your space?

COLOR

When you pick out bedding and other items shopping for college you tend to pick a reoccurring color. Most of the time you can see that color in your dorm room. That color may say something about you though. 

Blue. Congratulations! You have the least unique favorite color. But no one judges you for it because they probably share the same favorite color. 

Pink. You’re super girly. Even if you aren’t a prima dona, beware, there is something about pink that makes people think of Barbie dolls and fairies. 

Green. You like nature. You are probably from New Hampshire. And recycling is your main hobby.

Yellow. You aren’t a real person. Or you’re a sunflower.

Purple. You are a very mysterious person. You either love Barney or grapes. People don’t understand you.

Red. You’re crazy. People can only think of blood when they see red. So you are obviously a killer.

Black. People think you love death. We all love black but if it’s everywhere you are automatically a goth, death crazed person. 

White. Get a new favorite color. Correction you don’t have a favorite color. Your room will look clean not just because of the color, but also because no one will be in your room. Ever. 

PICTURES 

Pictures are so important. They remind you of your home, friends, and family. Certain pictures though just don’t belong on your wall. 

Selfies. Please stop. If there are several selfies on your wall everyone, including myself, will think you are incredibly self-centered. Keep the selfies to a minimum. 

Collages of Significant Other. Please stop. Everyone loves that you’re in love but I promise the separation does not get better with an extra 10 photos of the 2 of you kissing at sunset.

Crazy friend photos. We all hated middle school, but I think we can all appreciate the great, embarrassing, and flat out unexplainable photos that were a product of those years. 

Landscape. You are super artistic. Unless you have a picture of your backyard, people will admire your vacation snapshots. 

WALL ART

TV Show posters. This is telling to who you really are. If you have a “Game of Thrones” poster you’re in. If you have a “Pretty Little Liars” poster you’re out. 

Movie posters. Film is big here. We are a film school. Do us all a favor and put up a poster of your favorite movie. You may get judged for that decision by everyone who walks through your door, but remember that film majors don’t think “Mean Girls” is a great movie. But who doesn’t love Glen Coco?

Music posters. Not everyone has to love Beyonce. People may think your lack of Yonce in your room is a sign of disrespect but you are always entitled to your own taste. Throw your Spice Girls poster on your wall with pride. People will still think you’re flawless.  

Quotes. If you have a happiness quote people will feel the opposite of happiness. And that would be hatred. Cliches and lovey dovey quotes are never appreciated. If you take the time to get stick on letters and pick your favorite movie or literary quotes people will respect you more. 

Calendar. You are organized and efficient. People will secretly hate you for that, because they don’t even know where their stapler is. 

LIGHTS

Fluorescent. You want to be back in high school. That is the only place where giant rectangular fluorescent lights are acceptable. And that’s high school. 

Anything but that. You have a cool ambiance; therefore you are a cool person. 

BEDDING 

Hand-me-downs. I know you miss your grandma but your grandmother’s quilt does not go with your giant “Breaking Bad” poster. No one will think less of you though if you have a little piece of home. 

Spiderman Sheet. You know what I’m talking about. We all know that super heroes and Star Wars is awesome but keep these obsessions out of the bed. 

Bed Bath and Beyond. We all get our bedding there. Let’s just admit it. It’s a bonding experience though between floor mates when you discover that you both have the same black and white duvet from the college collection.

DESK

There are only 2 possible scenarios when it comes to the desk. 

Desk

Not Desk

It’s your room and you can do whatever you want with it. Just know that when people look in your room when walking down the hall they think they are getting a quick snapshot of who you are. Remember that and please take down any cat posters. 

I am a Writing, literature, and Publishing Major. I love Netflix, food, and sleep. College lets me experience all 3 of my favorite things simultaneously.
Emerson contributor