Tips For Throwing a Low-Stress Backyard Party

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

Summer is coming, and though some Emerson students are remaining in the city until next fall, a lot of us are returning home. This is a fantastic opportunity to reconnect with old friends, and what a better way to ring in the reunion than with a backyard party! Here are some fun tips for throwing a low-stress bash.

1.      It’s all about the food…

Everyone loves to eat. Make sure you have some tasty recipes on hand for your hungry guests. A yummy bean dip is always a great option (my recipe includes: refried beans, and melted sprinkle cheese, with a layer of salsa, sour cream, and black olive slices on top!) Be sure to have a little bit of something for everyone, vegans to meat-lovers. If you’re sick of hot dogs and burgers, try out some grilled chicken; if you don’t have a grill, pan fry some with breadcrumbs and throw it over a tangerine and greens salad for a yummy meal! (P.S. It tastes great with balsamic vinaigrette.)

2.      …and the desserts!

Technically still food, (though not as healthy), desserts are always important! Try out these delightful almond butter cookies; they taste great with a little vanilla ice cream on top. Don’t forget the old staples either! You’re never too old for popsicles or ice cream sandwiches. Just make sure to have a cooler or easy-to-access fridge that’s well-stocked with ice. It’s also a good idea to label your desserts if you decide to get creative with your baked goods; it may seem dorky, but if you have a guest with a food allergy it’s a very helpful heads-up.

3.      Pyrotechnics.

Fire pits are always fun! If your dessert section is lacking, you can always rely on s’mores. Plus your guests can stay warm when the sun sets, ensuring you can all hang out until the late hours of the night. It doesn’t matter that you’re in college—sparklers are always a fun touch. Just make sure your fire usage is legal in your area!

4.      Waterworks.

If you have a pool, that’s awesome, but if not, there are still plenty of ways to stay cool. My personal favorite method is water balloons — ­­­­­­­­they’re quite cheap, and are super fun to throw at your friends. After the party though, do your best to pick up the big chunks of balloon on the ground. Borrowing your younger siblings’ squirt guns is not a bad idea either if you want to add another element into the water battle.

5.      Decorations!

Though not the first thing on the minds of your guests, making your party-area look nice will make you feel like a good hostess. It also helps that the decorations can do double-duty: Make your own kerosene lamp out of old glass bottles to keep the bugs away while adding a stylish touch to the yard! If you have some extras, paint them in bright colors, fill them with water, and grab some flowers for cute decorations that can also help keep tablecloths and napkins from flying away.

6.      The Music!

Perhaps the most important part of any party is the music. Be sure to let your guests take turns choosing the music so everyone has fun. It’s sometimes helpful to grab two of your friends prior to the party date to make a short playlist to start the part off before people feel like taking charge. If you or your friends are musically inclined, forget the i-pods and jam by the fire.

Hopefully these suggestions help you start your summer with a splash! But don’t forget: the essential parts of a great party are you, some good friends, and some laughs; the rest is just extra. 

Ashley is a senior Writing, Literature, and Publishing major at Emerson College. She will graduate in December 2016. She loves playing with clothes and make-up, traveling, and drinking way too much coffee. Friends and family, cute animals, (especially her own), and dessert make her happy. 
Emerson contributor