This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

It’s so close you can almost taste it. Going to the beach. Seeing old friends. Vacations. An internship or part time job to keep you busy. Summer is almost here.

Whether you go far away or stay at home, the sunny days of summer present a lot of opportunities to wear both lively and relaxed clothes. Here are a few ideas to kick off your summer.

Floral dress

A bright floral dress is a true summer staple. Whether you’re hanging with family or going out with friends, wearing a dress like this one will set the mood for this fun-filled time of year. If you pair it with a blazer and flats, then it may work for your internship or job as well.

Light, flowing blouse and shorts

This is another very versatile and functional outfit. Recommended for milder days (or evenings at the beach), the blouse will cover your arms while still keeping you cool. The shorts give the outfit a summery feel, and the look is sophisticated and relaxed at the same time. You can also accessorize; you can wear a hat like the woman in the picture, or if that’s not your thing, pretty much any necklace or bracelet would work. You can also choose to carry a purse.

Maxi dress

If you’re going to a casual dinner, a concert or an outdoor event, you may want to wear a maxi dress. Maxi dresses come in all different styles, and by way of shoes and accessories, you can dress them up or down to your liking.

Patterned shirt and shorts

If none of this is to your liking, you may want to stick to the tried-and-true patterned shirt and shorts. This is a casual and fun option, and you can never go wrong with this outfit in the summer.

Short-sleeved shirt and skirt

So you don’t want to always pair shorts with your t-shirt? No problem! For another good casual option, grab a cute skirt and wear your shirt with that for an occasional change. Just like any of these options, you can play with accessories and choose all kinds of different patterns to suit your style.

Of course, these are just a few ideas. Feel free to mix and match so your outfit fits your style. Have a good summer!

Charlotty Herman is a freshman journalism student at Emerson College. She was an editor on her high school's yearbook staff and over the summer, she had an internship with the Reboot Fellows. As well as journalism, she is passionate about the Spanish language, which she has been taking for seven years now. She loves Boston, and when not in class, she enjoys creative writing, fashion, and drinking coffee.
Emerson contributor