sean o KMn4VEeEPR8 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sean o KMn4VEeEPR8 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Relaxing and Recharging: 10 Tips for A Summer of Self-Improvement

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

College life is fun, but it also can get really stressful. Between classes, jobs, extracurriculars, and a social life, sometimes it’s hard to take care of your own personal needs. Set aside some time this summer for self-improvement and caring for you, body and mind. Here is a list of 10 things you can do this summer to recharge.

1.       Take a few long hot baths.

2.       Catch up: Read the books you’ve been meaning to read, see the movies you haven’t watched yet, and catch up on your favorite TV show!

3.       Pick one big thing to do that you didn’t during the school year. Get a job, internship, or a new hobby. You’ll develop useful skills while keeping boredom at bay.

4.       Explore. If you can swing a road trip, go for it! But if not, try exploring a nearby town or taking a really long walk with a good friend.

5.       Sleep! Don’t get your schedule totally out of synch, but get a few extra hours each night, or take that midday nap when you’d normally have class.

6.       Exercise while you have enough time to do it. Try out different activities to see what works best for you.

7.       Reconnect with friends; have a few parties, or if you’re more mellow, “gatherings.”

8.       If you’re religious, spiritual, or into such practices as meditation or yoga, take some extra time to nurture your spiritual side.  

9.       Volunteer! If you have extra time, consider giving back to your community in a way that is important to you; it is both fun and rewarding.

10.   Make something. Work on that novel, make a few new paintings, redecorate, or do whatever strikes your fancy; it’ll feel great to create something you aren’t being graded on. 

Ashley is a senior Writing, Literature, and Publishing major at Emerson College. She will graduate in December 2016. She loves playing with clothes and make-up, traveling, and drinking way too much coffee. Friends and family, cute animals, (especially her own), and dessert make her happy. 
Emerson contributor