Preview of Taylor Swift’s New Album

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

Drop everything now because Taylor Swift is about to release a new album.

Yes, you read that correctly, the gorgeous country singer will finally be releasing her fourth record. The album is called Red, and with it Swift has promised fans 16 brand new tell-all songs. In a promotional campaign, Swift released five new singles leading up to the album debut on October 22. Read on to learn more about what the enchanting new tracks are about before the release of the album tomorrow.

We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together
“I say ‘I hate you’, we break up, you call me, I love you.” –Taylor Swift, WANEGBT

This is the first single Swift released from Red. Before the single came out fans waited nearly two years for a new Taylor Swift song. Everyone wanted to hear the track and within an hour of its release, it was number one on iTunes. The song, while different from most of Swift’s music, instantly became an upbeat party anthem. “WANEGBT” is about breaking free of a crazy relationship and learning to let go and enjoy the single life.

Swift also released a music video for “WANEGBT” that has already gained over 49 million views on YouTube. The music video was shot in one take and features Swift doing a lot of quirky dancing and sassy facial expressions. The guy who plays Taylor’s ex in the video looks a lot like Jake Gyllenhaal… could that perhaps be a hint from Swift that she wrote the song about him?

Begin Again
“And for the first time, what’s past is past.” –Taylor Swift, “Begin Again”

While “WANEGBT” is upbeat and unlike Swift’s older music, “Begin Again” brings fans back to the sounds of her sophomore album, Fearless. “Begin Again” features Swift’s beautiful voice in a calm, slower-paced way. In the ballad, the songstress sings about slowly falling in love again after being badly hurt from a previous relationship. With hopeful and optimistic lyrics, Swift presents “Begin Again” as a song about new possibilities. Without a doubt, “Begin Again” is all about starting the healing process and finding someone who makes you forget the last guy.

Red
“Regretting him was like wishing you never found out love could be that strong” –Taylor Swift, “Red”

“Red” is about trying to get over someone you once loved. “I wrote this song about the fact that some things are just hard to forget because the emotions involved with them are so intense,” Swift said when she preview the track on “Good Morning America.” Taylor Swift said the only way to describe her intense emotions is by saying they were “red.” The single features some questionable audio effects, like when Swift sings out “red” at the end of the chorus, that have never been featured in her songs before. Nevertheless, her main message gets out: Swift loved this guy and sincerely struggled getting over him.

I Knew You Were Trouble.
“The saddest fear comes creeping in, that you never loved me, or her, or anyone, or anything” –Taylor Swift, “I Knew You Were Trouble.”

The first thing my roommate said when she heard this song was, “Wow, choreographers everywhere must be celebrating!” My roommate’s assertion makes a lot of sense considering that “I Knew You Were Trouble” combines many genres of music into one song. The single starts off fast and steady, switches to a slow beat, then breaks out into a heavy, crashing chorus. It goes on like this the entire song. It’s possible that “I Knew You Were Trouble” is about John Mayer. After all, Mayer is known to be a player and just look at the lyric above. It sounds like Swift really regrets the relationship. Surely, this will be a great song performed live in concert.

State of Grace
“I never saw you coming, and I’ll never be the same.” –Taylor Swift, “State of Grace”

“State of Grace” can’t be compared to Swift’s other single, “Begin Again.” Even though it has a slow-song feel to it, it’s still a little bit upbeat. Perhaps the best word to describe “State of Grace” is airy. This single has a dreamlike feel that echoes in the listeners’ ears far after the song is over. With lyrics that inspire hopefulness, “State of Grace” is about unexpected love and learning to fall head over heels all over again. “State of Grace” was released as Swift’s final single.
Have you heard Swift’s new singles? Who do you think each song is about? Write your guesses in the comments below!

Cassidy is a Digital Production intern at Her Campus. She's currently a junior studying journalism at Emerson College. Cassidy also is a freelance reporter at the Napa Valley Register and a staff writer at Her Campus Emerson. Previously she blogged for Seventeen Magazine at the London 2012 Olympics, wrote for Huffington Post as a teen blogger and was a Team Advisor at the National Student Leadership Conference on Journalism, Film, & Media Arts at University of California, Berkeley and American University in Washington, D.C.. When she's not uploading content to Her Campus or working on her next article, Cassidy can be found planning her next adventure or perfecting her next Instagram. Follow her on Twitter at @cassidyyjayne and @cassidyjhopkins.  
Sara graduated from Emerson College in December 2013 with her B.S. in Marketing Communication. She loves writing, designing and DIY.  Follow her on twitter @SaraWynkoop