Matt McGorry: Emerson’s Own Alumni Celebrity Crush

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

While going to college, every aspiring student looks for inspiration of what can come from hard work and talent (a cute face doesn’t hurt either). Matt McGorry—an Emerson ’08 graduate—has made a name for himself with reoccurring roles on Orange is the New Black and How To Get Away With Murder. Here are only a few of the reasons why Emersonians should be proud to come from the same school as him.

1. He’s a proud feminist

Matt is not shy about speaking out about his identification as a feminist. Several months ago, he wrote an article for Cosmopolitan called “How Becoming a Feminist Felt Like Falling In Love,” which is an emotionally stirring testimony on the undeniable urge to speak up about injustice in the world. Also, these tweets in response to anti-feminist commentary are just as witty as they are true.

2. He has a great sense of humor

You know those celebrities who are extremely concerned with seeming perfect all the time? Matt McGorry is not one of them. Here is one of the most recent highlights from his extremely hilarious Twitter handle, which features Netflix, controversial issues and some prime emoji usage.

3. His friendships with his cast mates are too sweet

McGorry frequently cheers on his fellow cast mates from Orange is the New Black, like when Dascha Polanco was on the cover of Latina. On occasion, he’s even channeled his inner jealous John Bennett (his character on the show) in comments on his TV girlfriend’s pictures. These interactions are like bonus content for fans, along with being endearing.

4. Look at that face

No explanation needed.

Watch out for our boy, Matt. Although his success has skyrocketed in the past two years, his Jennifer Lawerence-esque realness and intense talent prove this is only the beginning.

Just a suburban girl living in the city of Boston who loves alphabet pretzels and a good Leonardo DiCaprio movie.
Emerson contributor