How to Prep Your Skin Routine for Winter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

Winter is rapidly approaching. Along with all the festivities to look forward to and red Starbucks cups to sip, winter also brings the cold and very dry air. It is super important to keep your skin hydrated during the cooler months. Your diet and skincare routine can all play a part in making sure your face is radiant and glowing during the upcoming months. 

Tip #1 – Eat Healthy

Healthy eating year round is key to a great complexion. During winter, it is even more important to make sure you’re getting enough vitamins and minerals in your food. Choose lots of colorful fruits and vegetables and lean meats.

Tip #2 – Drink Lots of Water

Staying hydrated is key to having healthy skin. It keeps it looking fresh and it’ll give you a natural flush.

Tip #3 – Moisturize

There are plenty of great moisturizers on the market for a variety of prices. From Cetaphil, which you can find at the drugstore, to Philosophy moisturizers at beauty supply stores such as Sephora or Ulta, there are so many high quality options.  

Tip #4 – Choose Good Ingredients

Your skincare regimen for winter should include products that are full of natural moisturizers, like oatmeal and shea butter. Other simple oils will be calming and non-abrasive as well.

Tip #5 – Don’t Wash Your Face Too Much 

Over washing your skin can dry it out more, contrary to popular belief. Only wash your face once a day, and make sure it’s lukewarm to cool water. Hot water will be too drying. 

If you follow all of these easy tips, your skin will be glowing during the harsh winter months!

Alexandra is a senior at Emerson College studying writing, literature, and publishing.
Emerson contributor