Five Cancelled TV Shows We Still Have Hope For

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

Back in the day when some of our favorite TV shows were still on the airwaves, the biggest problem with keeping a failing show on the air was distribution. TV shows cost money to make, and with few people watching, they’re not generating enough interest to stay alive.  Now though, between Kickstarter, Netflix, and the rise of independent video, finding ways of distribution is easier than ever, which brings us to the top five cancelled TV shows we’re hoping might make a comeback:

1. Veronica Mars – This noir-type mystery show originally aired on UPN and the CW before it was canceled in its third season, but a recent Kickstarter campaign from creator Rob Thomas and star Kristen Bell has brought Veronica Mars back from the TV graveyard. The Kickstarter has raised more than $3.5 million (and still growing), which is more than enough to fund a long-awaited Veronica Mars movie, which will be filmed this summer.

2. Arrested Development – A personal favorite of mine, Arrested Development tells the story of the dysfunctional Bluth family, their run-ins with the government (“just a bit of light treason”), and their attempts to keep the Bluth Company on its feet. Arrested Development was cancelled in 2006, but there have long been rumors of a movie or a fourth season. Now, using Netflix, creator Mitchell Hurwitz is giving fans what they’ve been asking for: fourteen new episodes and hopes for a movie.

3. Pushing Daisies – After being cancelled in the midst of its second season in 2009, this drama/comedy/fantasy about a humble piemaker who can bring people back from the dead left fans with countless unanswered questions. Since then, there has been a Pushing Daisies comic book and rumors of a stage musical, but now with the success of the Veronica Mars Kickstarter, creator Bryan Fuller has been trying to start a campaign of his own to give Pushing Daisies the touch of life again. Plus, who wouldn’t want to see more of the show’s adorable star, Lee Pace?

4. Boy Meets World – While this 90’s favorite ended thirteen years ago in 2000 (feel old yet?), it has remained in our hearts and minds, and Disney’s as well. A spinoff-sequel of Boy Meets World titled Girl Meets World is currently in production, and will focus on the life of Cory and Topanga’s daughter, Riley. Though an airdate hasn’t been set yet, the pilot episode filmed in February, and will feature original Boy Meets World cast members Ben Savage and Danielle Fishel.

5. Chuck – If there’s a show known in Hollywood for it’s savage, determined fanbase, it’s Chuck. Although the show ran for five seasons, it always seemed to be teetering on the brink of cancellation, only to be brought back by the efforts of the fans. Now, a year after the show wrapped up, star Zachary Levi is taking a page from the Veronica Mars book, and looking to the fans to possibly fund a Kickstarter campaign for a Chuck movie. While nothing’s set in stone yet, if there’s a show w

Sara graduated from Emerson College in December 2013 with her B.S. in Marketing Communication. She loves writing, designing and DIY.  Follow her on twitter @SaraWynkoop