Fashion For A Cause

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

As many of you know April officially became Sexual Assault Awareness Month back in 2009 under former President, Barack Obama. Sexual Assault Awareness Month is a campaign to educate and promote awareness of sexual assault and how we can prevent it from happening in the future to the public. According to the National Sexual Violence Resource Center (NSVRC):

• One in five women and one in 71 men will be raped at some point in their lives.
  • In eight out of 10 cases of rape, the victim knew the perpetrator.
  • 91% of victims of rape and sexual assault are female, and nine percent are male.
  • 20% – 25% of college women and 15% of college men are victims of forced sex during their time in college.
  • More than 90% of sexual assault victims on college campuses do not report the assault.
  • 27% of college women have experienced some form of unwanted sexual contact.

These are just some of the staggering statistics on sexual assault. It is all around us, especially as college students where an abundance of sexual assault acts occur. It is a problem that often is not talked about enough, and those who are victims are silenced. So, this month in order to show that we here at Emerson College support the movement to end sexual assault, nsvrc.org has found a way that you can help! On their website they are selling all sorts of merchandise ranging from t-shirts to water bottles and tote bags, and all proceeds go directly to National Sexual Violence Resource Center. When you sport these items you will not only look amazing, but you will also be aiding in the movement to end sexual assault. Below are just some of the items you can purchase to help show your support, but if these aren’t for you check out the link to NSVRC’s website below for much more!

Emerson contributor