A Cure for Spring Fever

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

This week has been a wardrobe tease. With temperatures climbing into the fifties, I giddily climbed into my closet and yanked out all the clothes I’d been missing dearly. I swapped in my little black dress for a little bright one, and ran out the door in my new ballet flats I never thought would see the sign of grass. But now, the temperatures are back in the thirties, and my closet’s a disorganized mess. The best way to curb the cold, however, is to introduce a bit of spring permanently into your winter wardrobe. Here’s how:

You can wear your brighter dresses. Just pair them with darker neutrals, like a black boyfriend blazer or cardigan (left). Tights are both fashionable and functional, and will keep your legs warm while allowing you to wear the flats that have been collecting dust in your closet. For an extra pop of spring, layer on a few coats of a bold nail polish or a stack of brighter bangles.

Let your vibrant tops come out to play, as well (right). Again, the key is to balance light and dark. You can give your flirty florals that extra pop of color with a cherry red cardigan, and pair the two with more subdued accessories. Don’t let Mother Nature dictate your wardrobe. You can bring the heat no matter the season.

Shana Wickett is a senior Print & Multimedia Journalism major at Emerson College with minors in Leadership & Management and Publishing. She is co-web director for Emerson's lifestyle magazine and a social media intern at Children's Hospital Boston. She previously was a city desk co-op at The Boston Globe and a news intern at The New Haven Register and Hersam Acorn Newspapers in Connecticut. She enjoys drinking too many macchiatos, singing loudly when no one's listening, dancing whenever possible, and learning how to cook a mean tomato sauce (slowly but surely). After graduating in May, Shana would love to manage and write web content for a company in Massachusetts or Connecticut, where her family lives.