Common Mistakes to Avoid When Studying Abroad

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

Studying abroad in college is a once in a lifetime experience. You’ll be able to experience a completely different culture, make new friends, and travel to places you have never been to. There are always mistakes to be made, though. By following these guidelines, you can avoid small mistakes that can cost you a truly amazing semester.

Packing too much:

It’s easy to over pack, but you really only need one large suitcase. There is no reason why you need to bring 10 pairs of pants and 15 sweaters. Make yourself a packing list, and be strict about it. By recycling your outfits, you’ll have extra room in your suitcase to purchase items when abroad and bring presents home.

Avoid the “foreign 15”:

It’s hard not to gain weight when you are studying abroad. Don’t keep a strict diet when overseas, but you should watch what you consume. Gaining up to 15 pounds in five months isn’t healthy, and it will be very difficult to lose the weight. Eat everything in moderation so you can kill cravings while not overdoing it.

Too much partying:

Drinking too much is a very common mistake for students studying abroad because of the different legal drinking age in other countries. If you are hungover all of the time, then you are not really experiencing what it’s like to live in another country. Don’t embarrass yourself by drinking too much—keep it classy.

Planning too far ahead:

There’s no reason you need to plan weekend excursions before arriving to your semester abroad. Wait until you arrive and get settled, and then decide where you want to travel on your first weekend and weekends to follow. Sometimes, the closer you wait to book a flight or a hostel, the better the deal.

Budget your money:

Many students blow all of their money early on in the semester when studying abroad. The semester away from home becomes expensive, so set up a weekly budget—including food, traveling and everything else—and be sure to stick to the budget. This way, your bank account will not be empty when you arrive home.

I highly recommend studying abroad. It’s a life-changing experience that only happens once, so be smart! No matter where you go, absorb everything.

Emerson contributor