Classy not Trashy Halloween

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

Yes, it’s that time of year again. Spirited Halloween fans across the country are busy putting up black-and-orange decorations, carving pumpkins, and stocking up on “treats” that range from chocolate to granola bars (we all know the granola bar type). And as for us collegiettes? Well, many of us are probably thinking of what to wear for the big night out.

As a fellow female, I will admit to the temptation of using Halloween as an opportunity to don a… more “promiscuous” costume a la Regina George and hit the town, all with the expectation of not being judged. Though Jenna Marbles certainly had a persuasive viewpoint advocating for a slutty night of female empowerment, now that I’ve finally gotten to college I realize the flaws that mar this once-enticing costume option.

As crazy as it may seem at times, we’re living as adults in a realm of adults. Though we may be young and as good-looking as we’re ever going to be, there are some adult standards we should uphold when presenting ourselves to the public. This may rule out traveling across the city dressed as a scantily clad cop, or any type of animal. Playing Playboy Bunny is so overdone. Just because we have the independence and freedom to do whatever we desire doesn’t mean we should abuse this power and jump into a cesspool of vampy attire. There are so many other costume options to consider; it would be silly to go straight to the most predictable type of outfit: skimpy.

Halloween is also the perfect time to embrace your inner sense of creativity. Instead of immediately jumping at a chance to go to Victoria’s Secret in search of “costume” material, why not do something a little more DIY? Take those sheets off your bed, fashion yourself a tastefully draped toga, cover yourself in some gray-green paint, and voila! You’re an ancient Grecian statue; classy and timeless, with just a hint of sex appeal. Other original DIY-type ideas like this are far more fun than simply throwing on some skimpy costume.

Though I’m in support of a change to the slutty Halloween stigma that seems to surround every girl older than 14, to call me a feminist would be inaccurate and just a little laughable. To look good, there’s no need to dress promiscuously; there’s a bevy of costume options that involve plenty of clothing, and still look sizzling. So remember, there’s one simple motto to follow this Halloween: stay classy and avoid the trashy!

Julia is a freshman Journalism student at Emerson College. One day, she hopes to write for a women's magazine, live in New York City, or own her own froyo machine. In her spare time, Julia enjoys long walks along Newbury Street, eating muffins, and color-coding just about everything.