British Invasion: Quality Shows Every Collegiette Should Add To Her Queue

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

Hey there, Collegiettes! So, the fact that you’re reading this article serves as a true testament to your procrastination skills. After all, it is finals week. But what better way to put off work and studying than by trolling through HerCampus? That’s right. There isn’t a superior alternative.

As we are quickly approaching the holiday season, I thought I would get in the spirit of giving. So, I’ve come bearing a present. Unfortunately, this gift is not the type to be wrapped up in shiny paper and colorful ribbons. But, I must say that it is better than any tangible present I have ever been given (well, aside from the laptop I used to type this). You see, this gift comes from a land far, far away. A land where fish and chips are an acceptable daily meal, kissing is referred to as snogging, and a boot is not only the title for stylish footwear, but for the trunk of a car as well. From my stereotypical associations, I am sure you recognized that I’m talking about none other than, the United Kingdom.

Okay, sorry for the stalling (but, think: at least you don’t have to wait until the 25th for this one). So, my present to you all is *drum roll please* BRITISH TELEVISION. I know what you’re about to say: “I already know British TV exists, why are you being frugal and re-gifting?” Well, my answer to that very reasonable question is, there is more to British TV than Dr. Who and Skins. Trust me, there’s a whole world out there to explore (thankfully, with no traces of The Jersey Shore or Kourtney and Kim Take New York). Below is a list of shows that must get on your Netflix queue (or Hulu account, or whatever site you use to get your TV fix) immediately. I suggest you watch them over the holidays, when you’ve reached your limit of family fun time.

So, without further ado, here they are:

#1: Misfits

This is a show about a group of juvenile delinquents who gain super powers after a freak storm. Okay, I know what you’re thinking: that sounds like something my little brother would watch. Think again. This show has changed my TV viewing life. It has a bizarre start, but I guarantee you’ll be hooked and absolutely smitten over the characters. With fun accents and cool powers, these teens fight off unconventional bad guys, while smoking, drinking, having risqué love affairs, and accidentally killing probation workers along the way.

#2: Sherlock

This show is for the set that likes a more unadulterated storyline. Sure, I know there have been so many adaptations of Sherlock Holmes, but this is by far, my favorite. The cinematography is stunning and the Sherlock Holmes and John Watson relationship is absolutely adorable (it’s said to be platonic, but fanfiction writers say otherwise). With Sherlock’s quick wit and John’s loyalty to his companion, you won’t regret spending the hour and a half on each episode (don’t fret, there are only 3 episodes in season one).

#3: Love/Hate

This drama mini-series stars two of the same actors from Misfits (Robert Sheehan – an absolute dream boat – and Ruth Negga). Each episode is jam packed with crime, sex, gang wars, and love/hate (just as the title suggests). If your heart melts for charming Irishmen, then this show is for you.

Well, that’s plenty to get you started! Happy Holidays and Happy Watching!

P.S. Just as a disclaimer: I will not be held responsible if you find yourself subconsciously incorporating British slang terms into your daily language. Apparently, people find this to be quite a nuisance. 

Lorena Mora is a student at Emerson College currently pursuing a degree in visual & media arts. Other interests include social media, passion tea lemonade, blogging, baby animals, spending the day at IKEA, baking cupcakes, and traveling the East Coast. An avid blogger, lorena has written for such publications as Em magazine, Her campus.com, Cliche Magazine and on her own movie-review blog, The Aftertaste. Lorena currently serves as President and Editor In Chief of the Her Campus Emerson branch.