This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

Admit it – we all love a good beauty myth. They may come from our grandmother, or from a friend of your cousin, or even some girl you just met in your Introduction to College Writing course. Then of course there are the myths we regularly read in magazines or on websites like Twitter. But as much as we’d love to believe an old wives tale, these tales are generally folk legends and nothing more.

So here’s a list a few of the most common myths followed by the good, honest truth:

Myth #1—There is no way to get rid of yellowing nails. It should make sense to every nail-painter that the more often you wear nail polish and the less often you let your nails breathe, the yellower your nails will get. There is, however, a way to get rid of that yellow tint which is caused by the new maroon or mint colored nail polish that you can’t get enough of. To get rid of that unattractive tint, try using a base coat prior to applying your colored nail polish. You can also try using a top coat after that has UVA/UVB protection. Top coat with that kind of protection will shield your nails from the sun. Of course you can also try going a few weeks without polish too. But if you can’t stand that naked nail look—here’s a secret tip that is not a myth. Try scrubbing your unpolished nails with a bit of baking soda before you apply the polish. It works wonders.

Myth #2—The more you shave your body hair, the quicker it will grow back…and thicker! Everyone has heard whispers that the more often you shave your body hair, the thicker and quicker it will grow back—gross. But guess what? This is definitely a myth! Your hair will just appear shorter and a bit stubbier a few days after shaving, making you think that it is thicker in between shaves, but in all actuality, it’s not. So shave away.

Myth #3—There are hair products available that can reduce split ends. Curious how to get rid of those ratty split ends that make your hair feel dry and unmanageable? Sorry to burst your bubble, but there are no hair products in existence to repair split ends. How upsetting is that! We see commercials and advertisements stating otherwise plus we hear from our friends about oils and serums that can reduce the split ends we all pick at in class. There are only two things that will get rid of those split ends; getting a regular haircut and trying to not straighten, blow-dry and curl your hair too often! Extreme heat is simply not healthy for your hair.

Myth #4—You need to change your shampoo with a new brand every time you finish it because your hair becomes familiar with the brand you are using and it will stop working. Yes, it is healthy for your hair to change up your shampoo and conditioner brand every once in a while. Your hair needs a bit of variety. It is not necessary, though. If you are head-over-heels in love with your Pantene Anti-Breakage shampoo, who are we to tell you to stay away? If you believe your hair is not living up to its full, voluminous shine potential, don’t blame the shampoo. Usually, if your hair is feeling dry, flat or damaged, it is typically from hairsprays, oils or serums, or too much sun or swim. Don’t use shampoo too often because it will dry out your hair, but maybe a little variety from time to time will spice things up.

Myth #5—Once you drop your eye shadow or blush, it’s done and needs to be thrown out. You know that beautiful Nars blush you have that you got for a birthday present last year, or that rockin’ Urban Decay glittery eye shadow you love to wear on a Saturday nights? What happens if it’s in your bag, and when you take it out, you see it has crumbled into a million shiny pieces? Don’t worry about it! Hang on tight to that shattered makeup. Want to know a little secret about broken makeup? Just pour some rubbing alcohol into the broken container or compact where your makeup is, and mix it (maybe with the end of an eye shadow brush, or your pinky finger) until the makeup turns into the consistency of clay. Wait a bit for the product to dry, and you’ll be good to go!

Sara graduated from Emerson College in December 2013 with her B.S. in Marketing Communication. She loves writing, designing and DIY.  Follow her on twitter @SaraWynkoop