75 Pianos, 1 James Kennedy

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

What prompted you to set off on your 75 pianos, 1 James adventure?

Having these pianos in Boston has been a real thrill for me. I love exploring the city, and the fact that piano music has been added to our soundscape is really wonderful. I thought it would be a fun challenge and adventure to try and tackle them all–I would get to explore the city and play music all at the same time. It really is a one-time opportunity; when else will I get to do something like this? I knew they’re only here for another week, so I jumped at the chance.

(Courtesy photo)

When did you start playing the piano and why?

I had a fascination with pianos when I was little; I used to sit at my aunt’s and plunk around on the keyboard. My parents signed me up for lessons when I was in first grade, and I stuck with them all the way through high school.

What was the most challenging part of traveling around Boston to all of the pianos?

First of all, Boston is not a fun driving city, so it took us forever to get anywhere because of the traffic and the one-way streets. Then, there were a couple of T delays that held us up. But the biggest challenge was the fact that the pianos aren’t always out in the open. Just because we had a street address didn’t mean it was easy to find. We often had to get to the location and then search, because the pianos are in courtyards, around corners, behind statues, etc.

What was the most rewarding?

Playing in Kenmore, after the Sox game got out, was a lot of fun. People came over and began requesting songs, so we had a big sing-a-long that featured Billy Joel’s “Piano Man”, Elton John’s “Your Song,” and Nicki Minaj’s “Super Bass.” I also really enjoyed the piano on Castle Island; there were a lot of kids who really enjoyed the music, which was really cool to experience.

What were some of your favorite song suggestions?

I loved the variety. My setlist ultimately had everything from old standards, like “Somewhere Over the Rainbow” and “Come Rain or Come Shine,” to musical theatre numbers, to famous pop ballads, to classical pieces, to “No Scrubs” and “What Makes You Beautiful.” 74 out of the 75 songs were suggested by 74 different people; I only put one song of my own on the list.

(Courtesy photo)

What do you think was your favorite location to play at and why?

I loved playing at the Nature Center–I’d never played piano in a meadow before! It was really peaceful, and I was playing one of my favorite Chopin preludes, so I enjoyed that one a lot. I also enjoyed the one at the Strand Theater in Dorchester, because the piano was in amazing shape and we were in a big entrance hall that had amazing acoustics. After dealing with so many broken pedals, sticking keys, and missing strings, it was really refreshing to play a piano that was in such good condition, and in tune! Other personal favorites included the Prudential Center, the Old North Church, and Davis Square.

Were you disappointed you didn’t get to every piano in one day?

Initially, I was. But the decision to extend into another day was made in the interest of everyone’s health and safety. I wasn’t doing this on my own, and I didn’t want to keep people out in Boston until all hours of the night. In hindsight, I think when things go awry and not according to plan, it forces you to refocus on why you wanted to do something in the first place. Extending into another day certainly did that for me; it reminded me that the adventure was about everyone getting to have their song played, not trying to meet an arbitrary deadline. Ultimately, I think that was a good experience to have.

What’s next for 75 pianos, 1 James?

Some really talented Emersonians filmed a documentary about the whole thing! It was wild, and beyond anything I ever thought I’d be a part of. So, that will be coming out soon. Plus, I still have to finish the task–even though I made it to all 75 of them, some of the pianos were locked for the night by the time I got there. I’m trying to get back to all of the locked ones this week and actually play them! It’s important to me that everyone’s song gets played, so I still have a few more to do.

You’ve become a pretty popular musician on campus, have you ever thought of doing a concert for your fans?

I love playing so much, but I enjoy making music with others so much more than I enjoy doing it on my own. So, I don’t think a solo concert is in the works. However, I’m ALWAYS down to jam with people! There are so many incredible singers and musicians on campus, and playing with them is always an honor. Whether it’s in a formal setting, or just in a practice room, I always walk away feeling fulfilled and inspired. My favorite thing about music is that it brings people together, so if we could get people together to make a bunch of music, I’d be totally down. There aren’t a ton of pianists at Emerson, so I actually am fortunate to have a ton of opportunities to play on campus. Those are more than enough for me. But if people ever want to hear a song, all they need to do is ask.

Erin is now a senior at Emerson College in Boston, MA pursuing a degree in Print & Multimedia journalism. Originally from West Orange, New Jersey, Erin enjoys fashion, baking, hiking, traveling, and sharks. She is currently Co-Campus Correspondent of Emerson's Her Campus branch, and recently worked as an Editorial/Web Production intern and freelancer for Details.com at Conde Nast in New York City. Follow her on Twitter @appenzo.