burgess milner OYYE4g I5ZQ unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
burgess milner OYYE4g I5ZQ unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

5 Things You Shouldn’t Get This Black Friday

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

We all love Black Friday. The fake deals, incredibly long lines at 4 a.m., the insane driving… OK, so it’s safe to say we all hate Black Friday, but there are moments when the deals are just too good to pass up. For instance, TVs often have very reasonable discounts, and movies are basically given away for free. But there are many items this holiday season that should be left to some other chump. Here are 5 things you shouldn’t get this Black Friday, or during the holiday season in general.

VR Headsets

Don’t get me wrong; virtual reality is really fun…for about 10 minutes. After the initial shock of being immersed in a whole other reality wears off, then you’re left with really expensive goggles, with no practical use. Beside that, they are projected to be a hot commodity this holiday season, so the likelihood of seeing a decent deal on this headset is very slim. If you are so interested in having a change of scenery, save up for a trip with your friends of significant other. I guarantee it will be a much better use of your money.

iPhone 7

Stores like Walmart and Sam’s Club will no doubt have special deals and rebates on the new iPhone 7. This is usually a very popular Black Friday item. I myself got my iPhone 6 nearly two years ago on a Black Friday sale. My best advice is to tell you to wait for the next iPhone generation before buying the 7. Although it has gotten good reviews, the upgrades on the iPhone 8, a special anniversary phone, are far more substantial when compared to the 7.

Toys

It is myth that toys are at their lowest price on Black Friday. There are several studies that show toys are actually at their lowest price on Thanksgiving and December 23rd. Now I’m not saying you should skip out on Thanksgiving dinner or wait until the very last minute and risk certain toys being out of stock, but to consider going toy shopping when there are less crowds and less stress. You aren’t really missing out on any outrageous sales this Black Friday season.

Jewelry

Jewelry is a hard item to pinpoint the best time to purchase during the holidays. The past decade has shown that Thanksgiving Day is the best time, but again, it is hard for people to give up a day of eating until they pass out, to go shopping. My advice would be to wait. Each jewelry chain or store has different kinds of seasonal sales. I would suggest keeping an eye on your local newspaper for any ads, or even check out a store and see when sales begin and end this year.

Clothes

Please kids, stick to Cyber Monday. I know it is much easier to see if you like that coral blouse by putting it on in a dressing room, but do you really want to do that on the busiest shopping day of the year? I’m not a huge fan of online shopping for clothes, but most retail stores offer free shipping and lots of discounts during the Cyber Monday shopping fest. So if you know your body and all your sizes, just pull out your laptop and start shopping.

I am a Writing, literature, and Publishing Major. I love Netflix, food, and sleep. College lets me experience all 3 of my favorite things simultaneously.
Emerson contributor