jamie street KaAiThQZrGU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jamie street KaAiThQZrGU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

5 Things To Do In Boston Before It’s Too Cold

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

Up here in Boston, it gets cold pretty quickly once autumn hits! Make sure you check out these 5 spots while the weather is still nice!

1. Get fresh food at our open air markets: Haymarket and SoWa: Haymarket and SoWa are 2 great markets to check out while you can still get fresh fruits and veggies! Haymarket is located on Blackstone Street in the North End, and you can go every Friday and Saturday! SoWa is an artisan market where you can check out local artist’s work, farm grown fruit and vegetables, and food trucks! SoWa is located on Harrison Avenue and is open until 4pm on Sundays until the end of October!
  2. Explore the plants and trees at The Arnold Arboretum of Harvard University: The Arnold Arboretum of Harvard University is home to amazing plants and trees! It’s a great escape from city life, especially during the fall! If you take the T there, take the Orange Line to Forest Hills. It’s about a 10 minute walk from the station and it is completely worth it! It’s open until October, 10am-5pm every day except for Wednesdays and admission is FREE! You can check out some ideas for self-guided tours on their website
  3. See the gardens at Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum: Make your way to this museum to check out the beautiful gardens and an amazing collection of contemporary art! The museum is closed on Tuesdays but open every other day from 11am to 5pm, except on Thursdays when they are open until 9pm! Admission is $5 for college students with their IDs. If your name is Isabella you get in for free, and if you wear Red Sox gear you can get in for $2! On the T take the green line outbound going towards Heath Street and get off at the Museum of Fine Arts stop! Walk 2 blocks, and the museum will be on the left! 
  4. Work on your tan at Revere Beach: Revere Beach was America’s first public beach and it’s still a great place to get a tan and see the ocean! It’s a public beach so admission is free and you can go sit on the sand any time you want! To get there, take the blue line to Revere Beach (going towards Wonderland).
  5. Walk the The Rose F. Kennedy Greenway: At the Greenway you can check out food trucks, farmer’s markets, plants, a carousel, fountains, and more! The Greenway has just about everything and it’s great place to walk through while it’s still warm out! The Greenway consists of many parks and is open until 11pm every day. The parks begin in Chinatown at Mary Soo Park and continue all the way up to the North End near Hanover Street!  Check out this map for more details on where to go in the Greenway!

Now that you have some ideas on where to go in Boston before the temperature drops, head out and explore! Enjoy the warmth! 

Sarah Marcantonio is a sophomore Writing, Literature, and Publishing major. Sarah hopes to pursue a career writing in someway-- taking any job she can take. Her ultimate goal is to write for a bridal magazine. Born and raised in New Jersey, Sarah hopes to return to New York after graduation. She likes to write about feminism, Boston, current events at Emerson College, and pop culture. 
Emerson contributor