This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

Spring has been around for a while now, but only recently has spring started to melt away the winter snow and truly grace us with its presence. Finally, spring is really here! Even if you’re a fan of winter, there’s plenty of reasons to be excited and welcome spring with open arms.

1. The sunshine

While winter is full of cloudy skies and dark snowy days, spring is famous for the sunshine. Catch some rays and start to soak up that vitamin D. Not only is the sun starting to finally peek out from behind the clouds, but also there’s more of it. Thanks to daylight savings it no longer gets dark at 4 pm, giving us longer and brighter days! Plus, thanks to some sunshine, you no longer have to wear five layers to walk to class without freezing.

2. Spring fashion

You can finally break out your spring wardrobe! Shorts, skirts, dresses, t-shirts and tanks can finally be worn without being paired with tights or a cardigan. Plus, with spring comes a whole different color palette you can dip into: bright pinks, greens, blues and corals all match perfectly with the aesthetic of spring.

3. The activities

This nicer and warmer weather makes it possible to do things that just couldn’t or shouldn’t be done in winters with below zero temperatures. So what can you do this spring? Take a walk. Finally, you’ll be able to stroll through the park or through the shops without losing feeling in your hands. Catch a game. With spring comes baseball season! Buy some cheap bleacher seats on Stubhub and enjoy a game. Even if you’re not a baseball fan, catching a game with friends is guaranteed fun. Spring is also when festival season starts, so check out festivals in your area. Do anything outdoors. So many possibilities arise with spring, giving you the chance to enjoy the outdoors!

4. It’s growing season

Spring is growing season, making it prime time for fresh fruit and vegetables. What’s better? You can finally buy some fresh watermelon to celebrate the season or a carton of strawberries or blueberries. Instead of buying, you can even go picking. Grab a friend and find a farm in your area – strawberry season comes first! Besides fresh fruit and veggies, spring is when the flowers finally start to bloom. Nothing beats seeing tulips and daisies littering the ground with other bright spring foliage.

5. It leads to summer

Spring leads to summer. Isn’t that something we can all celebrate? Even if you’re not a fan of summer’s warmer temperatures you have to admit that the season is great. School is finally out, and while you might still have to hold down a summer job or internship, you finally get to somewhat relax and hang with friends. Plus, summer is synonymous with the beach and sun.

There are plenty of reasons to be excited for spring. So, break out your spring wardrobe and enjoy the season! 

Lindsey Paradis has loved Boston all her life, and coming from a small Western Mass town she’s had time to enjoy it. Now at Emerson as a Writing, Literature, and Publishing major, she has more than enough time to take in the beautiful city. When she’s not working with preschoolers, Lindsey finds herself writing stories, hanging out with friends, reading her way through Game of Thrones, and watching Sex & the City.
Emerson contributor