10 Free Things to Do in Boston

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

When your only spending money consists of Board Bucks, the city can seem overwhelming and expensive. Well, there are countless things in the city that are, no strings attached, completely free. This list may save your life, along with your wallet.

1. Explore the North End

A place with amazing food, great vibes and beautiful scenery? All a couple of T stops away? Sounds a bit too perfect. Although restaurants do cost money, walking around and seeing the sights is not only free, but also extremely romantic!

2. Bright Lights Film Series at Emerson

Every Tuesday and Thursday at 7 PM, Bright Screening Room

One of the many perks of going to one of the top movie-making schools in the country: lots of free screening opportunities. This series is free to any Emerson student; a recent screening had James Franco Skype in to chat about his new documentary! Make sure to get there early to claim a spot in line because seats will fill up fast!

3. Walk the Freedom Trail

Boston is full of history, so it only makes sense that there’s a lot of cool historic stuff to see! The Freedom Trail is a red line meandering all around Boston connecting all of these things, including the spot of the Boston Massacre, Old North Church, and Paul Revere’s house! Those places you studied in textbooks all through high school are just a walk away!

4. Museum of Fine Arts

Free with Emerson ID

That’s right—with your student ID you can go see artwork from all over the world. Not only is it incredible that artifacts from thousands of years ago are right in our backyard, but the trip is definitely picture-worthy for all of your friends who ask how Boston is!

5. Watch the Stars at the Coit Observatory

Boston University, Wednesdays at 7:30 PM

If you’re feeling your inner Galileo coming out, go to BU on Wednesday nights. Telescopes are set up outside, so grab a blanket, bring some snacks and find the constellations!

6. Revel in the Museum of Bad Art

This strange museum features some of the most bizarre art that’ll make you feel confident if you ever doubt your own talent. Come with friends and laugh at a variety of strange paintings.

7. Go to a Secret Shoe Store (Bodega)

This store is definitely something you’ll want to check out. Bodega is an innovative hidden gem; camouflaged as a run down convenience store, walk into the back of this store, open the vending machine door and a designer shoe store awaits. Sounds like something out of a spy movie, a must see!

8. Explore the Boston Public Library

Looking like a set straight out of Hogwarts, the BPL is not only gorgeous, but a staple in the city since 1848. Get lost in stacks of books, walk around the courtyard and admire the beautiful artwork!

9. Take Part in a Movie Making Competition

10/12/15, 5 PM

Have you ever wanted to make a movie? How about fast-forwarding the process to fit into four hours? After the success of the 48 Hour Film Fest, Emerson is hosting the 4 Hour Film Fest. On a team of six (either randomized or with friends), you are challenged to write, shoot and edit a movie. Visit their Facebook page for more details!

10.  Chill Out in the Boston Common

Not only the first park in America, but also extremely beautiful and social, the Common is the unspoken meeting ground for every Bostonian. Enjoy tennis courts, gazebos, music, festivals, picnics and more; the sky is truly the limit.

Just a suburban girl living in the city of Boston who loves alphabet pretzels and a good Leonardo DiCaprio movie.
Emerson contributor