Why Leaving Your Freshman Year Dorm is Nearly Impossible

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Elon chapter.

The crazy thing about freshman year is that at first, a dorm is nothing but a building. A building filled with strangers’ faces, unmade beds, and pictures of hometowns on the walls. As the year goes on, the transformation is subtle. Faces of strangers become the girls who deliver us food in bed when we’re sick. The unmade beds become the places we stay up until 2 in the morning talking and laughing. The pictures of hometowns are joined by cute “I love you” or “have a great day” notes hung up by roomies and floormates.

As my freshman year winds down, it has become more and more difficult for me to picture leaving my freshman year dorm. There are endless things that I will miss, but here are just a few…

1. Late Night Conversations

Whether you’ve been in the library all day and need some friend time, or just can’t get yourself to fall asleep, there are always people up. Casual evening chats turn into conversations leading into the early hours of the morning much too frequently.

1. The Endless Closet

Being a dress repeater is never a concern when there are 20 plus closets to choose from. An outfit selection is never complete until you visit at least 3 rooms searching for something to wear.

1. Viewing Parties

Monday night Bachelor, Tuesday night The Voice? With only a few TVs in the dorm, you can find at least a handful of girls piled on the carpet of a room when a new episode is on.

1. Food Buddies

Whether it’s a late night craving or random obsession for a certain food, there will rarely be a time that no one in your dorm will be down to grab food with you.

1. Dance Parties

Anytime of the morning, night, or day, no one EVER says no to a DP.

Nothing can compare to one’s freshman year dorm. This big, brick building holds the memories and experiences that have made my first year one I’ll never forget, and I am not even the slightest bit ready to say goodbye.

Hi! My name is Fraley Morton and I am a freshman at Elon and from Manchester, MA.