What Happens After Recruitment : An Open Letter to New Sorority Girls

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Elon chapter.

Congratulations to the many first-year students who just survived recruitment week! The 6-week new member period ahead is amazing, and no matter what organization you decided to join, you are about to go through a very special time.

As a sophomore, I went through new member period only a short year ago, and I find myself wishing I could go back to that time everyday. You will get incredibly close to your new sisters very quickly. The relationships that you will foster are inexplicable and stronger than you could have ever imagined.

All of a sudden, the 50 other girls who ran down the hill with are no longer the girls you shyly wave at on your way to class, but rather the girls in your life who support and love you for all that you are. They are the girls that you go to Cookout with at 2 a.m. and cuddle with during movies on weekends.

With all these new growing friendships, it is important to maintain previous relationships from last semester. Here at Elon, we are lucky enough to have five months of learning the ropes of college before being thrown into the craziness of recruitment.

I was lucky enough to find friends that I could see standing next to me at my wedding in the first semester of college, but we each decided to go a different direction when it came to joining an organization. After Bid Day, I was so excited to meet all my new sisters and build relationships with them (and add to my future bridal party!), but I also worked hard to keep my original friends in my life.

The next six weeks are crucial in setting the pace for your life in college. Although this time in your life is made for starting over and finding yourself, getting some hints along the way is always beneficial!

My best advice is to take advantage of this time and really go out of your way to get to know your new member class and the rest of your sorority. Boys, parties and weekend trips will all be there after spring break. Also, don’t ditch your old friends for your new ones; find balance in your life. Make a real effort to get to know the older girls in your organization. This is a difficult feat as they only have 50 new girls to get to know, while you have your own new member class on top of the 150 older girls to meet, but they are your sisters and they will help you out if you put in the effort. Remember that you now represent your organization, even if you aren’t wearing your letters, so always behave! Ultimately, be excited, and know how lucky you are to be joining something so special, and indescribable, during this new member period!