Rosemary Joaquin: “Trumpets Girl”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Elon chapter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Xqe1H3egtc

Rosemary Joaquin 

Rosemary Joaquin is a first-year student here at Elon University. She is not your average student. She is a member of Sweet Signatures, the all-girl a cappella group on campus. She has the lead solo in their rendition of “Trumpets” by Jason Derulo. It was originally performed at their 2014 Fall Concert and Sweet Sigs uploaded it onto YouTube. The video now has over 64,000 view and across campus Rosemary is known as “the trumpets girl”.

Why did you join Sweet Sigs?

Even though I am a music major, I wanted more time to be able to sing the type of music I like and meet new people. In high school, I never

had the opportunity to join anything remotely like it so I was pumped!

How do you feel when people know you as “the trumpet girl”?

Honestly I was not expecting that name to click, but the concert was in November and people are still using it haha! I am pretty honored to have people know who I am. I hope I can sing more for them and maybe get a new name!

Was there a specific moment when you realized that you got so many views?

The day we posted it I think we got 1000 views. That blew my mind! I was just happy my a cappella groups name was getting out there.

Do you get tired of singing trumpets?

We sing it a lot, so sometimes it gets tedious to do. But then again, every time we sing it I get nervous which makes it exciting.

If you could have the lead solo in any song what would it be?

Anything by Sam Smith. I am in love with his voice!

At what age did you start singing?

I don’t really remember what age I was, but ever since I was little I sang anytime I could. It irritated my family because it was never quiet in our house.

Describe your experience in Sweet Sigs.

Everyone in the group is so sweet and nice and we really need everyone to truly perform to the best of our ability. Every practice is a new chance to perfect our songs and have fun together.

What is your greatest memory when in Sweet Sigs?

Singing at Acappallooza! There was so much energy in the crowd.

What do you enjoy besides singing?

I love playing on Elon’s club lacrosse.