This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Elon chapter.

New Year’s Eve is basically the new Halloween. But instead of dressing in character, you get to dress fabulously! This is the perfect night to finally try out those six-inch pumps you thought were too hot for dinner with the girls, or to rock that shimmery eye makeup. Planning the perfect outfit for this perfect night is the ultimate challenge. Whether you’re planning on spending the night with your best girlfriends, or attending a glamorous champagne-filled party, I have some chic ideas for you!

LBD Takes NYE

Add some glam to your typical LBD by dressing it up with silver and gold. It’s the perfect time to bring out any accessories that sparkle and shine, and luckily, everything matches your favorite LBD. Combine it with some fierce, statement heels, a super cute clutch and the ultimate red lip. Depending on the neckline of the dress, it’s a great time to pull off a messy ponytail with this outfit to look glamorously fierce.

The Blair Waldorf

If there’s one thing Blair Waldorf knew how to pull off, it was tights in crazy prints and colors. It’s up to you whether you decide to keep it all black and wear a cool patterned pair, or opt for brighter hues like reds or purples. Pair either kind of tights with a flowy blouse tucked into a tight-fitted mini skirt and heels for a bold statement. Go easy with the jewelry on this one to avoid taking away from the tights, and a more natural hairstyle and make-up look to balance the whole thing out.

Glitz n’ Glam

You can never go wrong with anything that sparkles. NYE is the night made for bringing out your sequins and glitter to sparkle more than your champagne. If you don’t want to sparkle too much, you can do a sequined skirt with a plain top, or a plain outfit paired with a sequined cardigan. If you do, a gold or silver sequined dress would look super cute paired with black heels and red lips. Sparkles aren’t limited to your outfit choices, either! This is your chance to play around with all the shimmery colors in your make-up palette. A fierce cat eye to top it off makes it the ultimate NYE getup.

Get Meshy

Mesh has become widely known in the fashion world recently, so why not do it on this fabulous evening. A tight LBD with a mesh v-cut will look stunning, or any other kind of LBD like an adventurous back scoop with mesh cut outs. Pair it with your highest pair of heels and gold jewelry, and a playful hairstyle like loose curls or a messy ponytail. A smoky eye and red lips will complete the daring ensemble.

Talk Velvet To Me

Velvet has been making a comeback and straying away from its tacky origins. This outfit is perfect for the NYE #tbt Instagram. Find a picture of you as a child wearing a velvet dress, and put it next to your picture on this night to show its evolution. A velvet dress in seasonal colors like red or gold will look stunning paired with a chain purse and pumps. Wear some sparkly accessories and wave up your hair for an adorable look.

Leather Up

Be a little untraditional and show some skin with edgy leather shorts this NYE. Pair it with a colored sweater or a flowy blouse. If the temperature gets pretty low, don’t forget to wear tights to keep warm. If you want to get even edgier, try high-waisted shorts with a long sleeved crop top and your favorite pair of black pumps, or a bodysuit with a deeper cut. Curly hair is great for an outfit like this, and accessorize lightly with a pair of simple hoops and matching bangles. A sultry smokey eye and red lip will make this outfit killer.