This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Elon chapter.

Etsy (pronounced et-see) is “a marketplace where people around the world connect, both online and offline, to make, sell and buy unique goods,” says the about section on their website.

In other words, Etsy is this really cool website where you can either buy or sell items ranging from jewelry, clothes, furniture, accessories, art– basically any tangible item. The best part is these items are handmade and extremely unique.

If you happen to be one of those people that hate buying things everyone has, then Etsy is definitely the website for you. When you first sign up for Etsy, you have to create a user name and password. The home pages looks like this:

Etsy can be thought of as basically an online mall. It is comprised with multiple shops that users create to sell their merchandise. As a buyer you can search for items and Etsy will show you all the shops that are currently selling whatever you are looking for.

Once you find a shop that you love, you can save it to you favorites and get updates whenever the shop owner posts a new item.

The best thing about Etsy is you have direct contact with the shop owner. This makes customizing, asking questions about size or fit or shipping really easy. They also have an awesome app for IPhones that makes shopping on your phone so convenient.

Below I will share with you my top three favorite Etsy Shops however you should keep in mind that there are hundreds and hundreds of shops registered on Etsy so if what I have listed doesn’t catch your eye, don’t get discouraged! There is something for everyone on Etsy.

1.     CeaBikinis

CeaBikinis is owned by Christina Evert and is located in Hawaii. Christina makes hand-made custom bikinis for “suffers, sun-chasers, and beach lovers.”

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CeaBikinis

Christina writes on her page, “I moved to Hawaii to finish up college, surf, and live in 360 days of sunshine, which is where the bikinis come in to play. I knew that I could create custom, cheeky, ultra-flattering bikinis at a way more affordable price than the bikini brands I love, so I did! “

These bikinis come in many different colors, styles, and sizes! Be sure to check out her Instagram @christinaevertcea 

2.     ljcdesignss

ljcdesignss is owned by Lucy Cottee out of Bali, Indonesia. Lucy’s label is a “Bali based label jam-packed with pom-pom’s, tassels, tribal prints and pops of neon.”

https://www.etsy.com/shop/ljcdesignss

In the about me section, Lucy says, “My designs celebrate the amazingly bright Balinese daily offerings and the relaxed way of life in this country. I try to create pieces that are comfortable and original and look to aspects of nature for inspiration.”

Lucy’s designs range from rompers, to pom-pom shorts, to crop tops, to jewelry and many other accessories. For more info you can also follow this shop on Instagram @ljcdesigns

3.     stitchandstonedesign

Stitch and Stone is a shop that’s run by Michele Leiser out of Austin, TX. This shop specializes in custom jewelry.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/stitchandstonedesign

Michelle explains, “I design trendy and affordable jewelry for women of all ages. I’m most known for my stone and druzy earrings, rings, and necklaces but have recently fallen in love with all things boho. I’ve started incorporating bohemian elements such as tassels, feathers, arrowheads, turquoise and tribal designs.”

Stitch and Stone is the perfect shop to fulfill all your custom and unique jewelry requests. You can also follow them on Instagram @stitchandstoneatx for giveaways, new product announcements and coupon codes.

These are just three stores out of the thousands that can be found on Etsy. Whether you are looking to buy or sell one of a kind handmade Items’, Etsy is the place for you!

Senior Strategic Communications Major at Elon University