Ginna Claire Mason-the lead in “Crazy for You”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Elon chapter.

My name is Ginna Claire Mason, and I am from Brentwood, TN, a beautiful city just ten minutes south of Nashville. Music has always been a big part of my life growing up around Music City. All three of my brothers and my parents play musical instruments. We were raised on the classics like The Sound of Music, Singin’ in The Rain, and Les Miserables. 

I started doing plays in the first grade. My little brother and I used to invite friends over and put on concerts in the living room; our tickets were reasonably priced : )

Choir from elementary school through high school was an important part of learning about blending, dynamics, and musicality. One of the the biggest influences was my a Capella group in high school, Academy Singers.

I am a senior music theatre major.

This Fall I played the role, Polly Baker, in the musical, Crazy for You. It’s a beautiful, romantic comedy full of classic Gershwin music, tap dancing, steamy kisses, and slap-stick jokes. I loved performing opposite my dear friend, Michael Callahan, who played Bobby Child. We enjoyed a wonderful run together!

I was raised believing that the most important thing in life is relationships. Every day before my dad would drop me off at school, he would remind me, “Be nice to everyone.” I think this had a big influence on me. Possessions, wealth, and accomplishments are fleeting, but relationships are everlasting. Friendships are my priority.

Outside of the Performing Arts Department, I am involved with Inter-Varsity. My IV Bible study, Crazy Love, was formed my freshman year and we have been together ever since! (I actually just got engaged this past summer to my Bible study leader’s big brother, Eric!) IV has helped me grow in my faith in college and has provided an outlet to meet and bond with so many wonderful people. One of my favorite college memories is going on Beach Retreat each Fall with all of Inter-Varsity.

In my free time- I have very little outside of rehearsals- I like to spend time at home. I live in a beautiful house off- campus lovingly nicknamed the O’Kelly Castle. I live with an amazing group of girls who inspire and encourage me on a daily basis. One girl, Ellie, has been a friend my entire life and is a bridesmaid in my wedding next summer. At home we like to cook, make arts and crafts projects, watch movies, and go tandem bike riding! 

Now that Crazy for You has closed, I am busy auditioning for 5 Spring shows, and rehearsing for our next show which opens in a month, Into the Woods. I am playing Little Red Riding Hood. The show is December 2-4. Come see it! 

I’m so proud to go to a school that is so supportive of the arts. Leo Lambert comes to all of our shows and often times throws us cast parties. That means so much to us!

After I get married in June, I am planning on moving to New York with my husband and attending graduate school. I am applying to Ithaca, Syracuse, and SUNY.

Avery is a sophomore at Elon University majoring in Print Journalism. She's involved with the yearbook, Phi Psi Cli, and the newspaper, The Pendulum, as well as a four year honors program called Leadership Fellows, and is also a member of Alpha Xi Delta, Theta Nu Chapter. Born and raised at the real Jersey Shore, she loves the beach, traveling, writing, running, and shopping. She recently studied abroad in Costa Rica for January Term, and hopes to go abroad for a semester in the fall of 2011. She hopes to move to Manhattan after she graduates and work for a women's magazine. Avery is excited to have the chance to bring Her Campus to Elon University.