Fun Ideas for Making Your Summer Memorable

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Elon chapter.

It’s that time of year again. School is winding down, exams are creeping up and that summer mentality has officially set it. You’re cramming in your last few weekends of fun before it’s time to head back home. Chances are you’re probably going to be working this summer, maybe in an office or a restaurant, and that means every sliver of summer freedom with your friends, whether it’s the nights, the weekends or off-days, should be spent doing something stress-free and FUN!

When I think summer, I think happiness, no worries, good vibes, spending quality time with the ones you love and relaxation. Below are just a couple ideas that encompass all those summery qualities for when you and your friends find yourselves sitting around, brainstorming the best ways to bask in the beautiful weather.  

1. Go Camping

My first suggestion is one of the most spur-of-the-moment activities that can be done anywhere, anytime. You can do this in a park, on a beach, in the mountains or even in your own backyard. Camping! Preparation is easy: Pick up some graham crackers, marshmallows and Hersey’s chocolate. Pack a sweatshirt, toothbrush, and sleeping bag. Pile up the car with friends. Head anywhere your heart desires. And pitch a tent. It’s that simple. Not only is it easy, but it’s a chance to get away from the world and get in touch with nature while spending quality time with great friends. Who doesn’t love sitting under the stars around a bonfire, eating s’mores and talking about life?

2. Host a Cook Out

You know that legendary smell of summer; that magnificent scent that someone, somewhere close by must be grilling out? Instead of enviously wishing it were you, next time YOU host the BBQ! You can be sure this idea will attract not only your girlfriends, but definitely the guys, too. Have everyone bring over a grill-appropriate ingredient like veggies (bell peppers and zucchini are my personal favorite), a couple different meats, corn on the cob and of course a real good BBQ sauce. Don’t forget sweets like a fresh fruit salad or, if you’re feeling ambitious, a killer dessert such as apple pie or strawberry shortcake. Set the mood by lighting up a couple candles or tiki torches and cranking up your favorite Pandora station. That’s a perfect summer night if I ever heard of one.

3. Take a road trip

Ever wanted to just drop everything and go on a road trip; with no destination or plan but just a map in hand and a group of friends? Pick a weekend in advance so everyone can figure out their schedules and request off. Then, sketch out a general route – maybe to the nearest beach or city you’ve always wanted to visit. Pack a small bag and some road trip munchies, and off you go! On your way, don’t hesitate to stop at places that look interesting or even little, local restaurants and shops off the beaten path. Spontaneity is the perfect remedy for conquering the redundant work blues. You can be sure a trip like that will leave you with memories to last a lifetime.

These are just a few ideas, but with summer comes a sense of freedom and endless possibilities. Don’t be afraid to suggest an idea to your friends that’s maybe a little out of the ordinary. Having something fun to look forward to makes getting through the workweek or day a whole lot easier. All it takes is a little planning and creativity!

Elon Junior and Strategic Communications Major with a minor in Marketing (Professional Sales). Hoping to someday pursue a career in the Public Relations, Sales, Brand Marketing, or Editorial realm. Born and raised in Virginia Beach, VA, studied abroad in Copenhagen, Denmark for fall 2012, and trying out life in the big apple this upcoming summer. Currently involved in PRSSA, HerCampus, and Zeta Tau Alpha. Passionate about the beach, traveling, photography, writing, and spending time with family and friends.