Five and Five-Reasons to Look Forward to Summer AND College!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Elon chapter.

Hey Ladies!

Whether you’ve already graduated or you’re still waiting for that 7th period bell to ring one last time, you’re on your way to college — and lucky for you, you’ve chosen Elon! We’re excited to have you and we hope you’re excited too. In fact, here’s a list of five reasons to get really excited about the fall and another five reasons to enjoy the summer before you have to take off!

1) You get a fresh start. Tripped in the cafeteria sophomore year? Didn’t get asked to senior prom? Guess what? Nobody knows! Whatever you were like in high school, it doesn’t matter anymore. So here’s your chance to reinvent yourself.  Be more outgoing. Vow to spend some time in that thing called the library aka Club Belk (don’t worry, we’ll go over Elon lingo later this summer!). Or maybe you don’t need to do any sort of 180 transformation. Regardless, now is the time to shed your insecurities and spend your four years at college becoming who you want to be.

2) Your hometown best friend isn’t in town anymore. You’ll make lifelong friends in college, but don’t forget to treasure the chance to spend time with your friends now. There’ll be a time in college where you’ll want to call an emergency girls night, or head down the street to your go-to BFF, but unless you’re bringing them to Elon with you, you won’t be able to! So even though you’re pumped to meet your college best friends, don’t take advantage of the time you have with your high school ones.

3) One word: freedom. No more telling mom and dad what time you’ll be back at night. No more rules about when to eat, clean your room, drive your car or do your homework! It’s all up to you now. You’ll understand after you get here why they all say the hardest thing about college is time management … balancing your newfound freedom will get easier with practice.

5)  Even though most students like the food at Elon, it’ll never compare to your favorite home cooked meal. You’ve got yummy Varsity wraps and Pangeos pastas to look forward to, but enjoy all of the home cooking that you can. Milk the fact that you’re about to graduate and be stuck eating school food for all that it’s worth and get your favorite dish on the dinner table more than once this summer!

6) If you’re like me and not used to southern sunshine, get excited about the weather. For real. I guess they say Carolina blue for a reason. I’m convinced the sky in North Carolina is a different color — it’s almost always blue! It won’t start getting chilly until well into October so get a good pair of shades and look forward to the extended flip flop season!

7) Unless you opted for a single, your room isn’t just your room anymore. Living with a roommate can be fun, but it’ll never be the same as your room at home. Maybe you want the lights on, but she’s ready for bed. She wants to blast music, but you’re trying to study. You’ll have to learn to live with someone else’s phone conversations, loud chewing, Skype sessions, favorite TV shows, etc.

8)  The Elon community. I’m convinced no other campus in the world has a community like we do. You’ll be walking to class and realize you just waved to like, 10 people — in a row. You’ll be at Tuesday college coffee chatting with your chemistry professor over bagels. You’ll be walking through East area dorms and see girls laying out, guys taking a dip in an inflatable pool, playing Frisbee, cornhole, sand volleyball and blasting stereo speakers out the third story window of Smith. You’re going to love it!

9) Say goodbye to knowing where you’re going…at least at first. Honestly, you’ll have the Elon campus mastered after the first week, and the surrounding towns aren’t that hard either. But still, if you’re bringing your car with you, consider investing in a GPS. They can work wonders when you’re dying to get off campus for dinner or take a weekend shopping trip to the outlets!

10) Everyone wants you to join their club/organization/group/team. Seriously. You can get involved in just about anything. Interested in something? Good chance Elon’s got a club for it. So take up a new hobby. Learn to ballroom dance. Try out for an acappella group. Whatever interest you’ve ever had before, now’s the time to pursue it!

Well future collegiettes™ I hope that got you in mood for school. So don’t worry, there’s plenty to look forward to but plenty of fun still to have this summer! As always, don’t hesitate to write in with questions — we’ll be answering some here on the site!

Until next time,

Your Collegiette
dearcollegiette@gmail.com

Avery is a sophomore at Elon University majoring in Print Journalism. She's involved with the yearbook, Phi Psi Cli, and the newspaper, The Pendulum, as well as a four year honors program called Leadership Fellows, and is also a member of Alpha Xi Delta, Theta Nu Chapter. Born and raised at the real Jersey Shore, she loves the beach, traveling, writing, running, and shopping. She recently studied abroad in Costa Rica for January Term, and hopes to go abroad for a semester in the fall of 2011. She hopes to move to Manhattan after she graduates and work for a women's magazine. Avery is excited to have the chance to bring Her Campus to Elon University.