The Best 20-Dollar or so Investment

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Elon chapter.

I’m sure you have all heard of a humidifier. It’s something your mom has probably used for you when you were sick as a child. A humidifier emits a steam/mist from water to overall improve air quality. It puts moisture into the room to help with relaxing, breathing, relieving coughs, and even chapped lips.

After coming down with a severe cold this weekend with lots of coughing, and a general feeling of being stressed, I realized I needed to get something to help. I came across a similar device to a humidifier, but even better, called an Aromatherapy Essential Oil Diffuser. This device is essentially a mini, portable humidifier, but in my opinion, even more beneficial. Its basic function is to fill it with water, and it will blow out water vapor into the air. But for something physically smaller than your average humidifier, it does a whole lot more.

These diffusers are designed using essential oils to emit them into the air for you to inhale. In many cases, essential oils are just pure and natural oils that have pleasant scents. They come in a range of different scents like lavender, tea tree, peppermint, eucalyptus, etc. But a lot of essential oils are actually claimed to change moods and have an uplifting impact on the mind. They contain natural potent chemicals that can improve both physical and mental function. These specific essential oils are used as aromatherapy, which produces non-medicinal healing affects.

There are endless options of essential oils to buy that focus on helping different mental states. You can get one to help you sleep at night, one to help with anxiety and stress, and one to help boost your mood to make you happier and more energetic. There are also ones available to help with mental focus, memory retention, and even headaches. You name it, there’s an essential oil for it.

Letting the magic happen is as simple as putting a few drops in your diffuser and letting the essential oils do the rest. A lot of these diffusers also have therapeutic lighting settings with their color-changing LED lights, so it not only helps with relaxation, but is also a fun addition to the room.

This diffuser is the best thing I have purchased in a long time. They’re generally around $20, and can be purchased at places like drug stores and other chains like Target, Walmart, and Amazon. Whether you choose to believe if any of this really works or not, many people, including myself, swear by its abilities.

Fairfield, Connecticut Elon University, Class of 2019