The Abroad Bucket List

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Elon chapter.
  1. Find your favorite coffee shop. Even if you don’t drink coffee, no one wants to spend hours on end doing homework in their cramped room. Whether it is a Starbucks or a little hole in the wall tea shop, find your space. You never know…maybe you’ll meet a cute foreign boy there. 
  2. Visit your friends. Chances are not all of your friends are going abroad to the same place as you. Although it may not seem like it, this is a very good thing. Not only can you make new friends on your trip, but you have couches to crash on when you’re traveling around Europe. This will make traveling on a budget even easier! 
  3. Go somewhere you normally wouldn’t go. This doesn’t necessarily mean you need to jump on a plane…it could be in the city you are studying in. If you don’t normally bike, go on a bike ride through a park. However, if you normally wouldn’t travel to Iceland but want to, then go jump on that plane! Push your boundaries because you may find something that you connect with. 
  4. Do your own thing. If you want to do something but can’t find anyone to go with you, go alone. My parents will probably kill me for saying this but you don’t always have to travel in a pack. Don’t feel obligated to do something just because your friends are doing it. Always make sure to stay safe, but don’t miss out on something that you want to do because no one else wants to.
  5. Make every second count. The sad truth is that your time abroad is limited and will go by fast. Before you know it, it will be December, the Christmas lights will go up, and you will be packing your bags again, this time to go home. Studying abroad is a once in a lifetime opportunity so cherish it while you can and make the most of your time.