10 Things to Look for in a Guy

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Elon chapter.

When you’re on the search for that someone special, it’s always important to have an idea of what qualities you need. While the perfect guy will never exist, never settle for anything less than what you deserve. Every girl deserves a guy who will treat her like the princess she really is. Whether you’re looking for the reformed bad boy like Chuck Bass, or the complete sweetheart like Ryan Gosling, your man needs to have these qualities for the best relationship.  As someone once said, “Keep your head, heels, and standards high.”

Confidence

Confidence, not cockiness, is a primary quality a man needs to have. Being with someone who is optimistic about his life is necessary. If you’re around someone who is always doubting himself, or someone who spends more time staring in a mirror than at you, then you need to get out. His personality will rub off on you, so always go for the happy medium.

Intelligence

Intelligence is hands-down the sexiest quality a man could possibly have. While he doesn’t need to be Einstein, someone who is passionate enough to be so interested in certain subjects shows that he’s a keeper. Intellectual conversations can be fun now and then, as long as he ignores quality number one and tries to talk down to you. A wise woman needs a wise man to keep her balanced.

Romantic

This one is extremely obvious. Unfortunately for guys, Chuck Bass has been setting standards high since 2007. No one does romantic gestures better than Chuck Bass, but your man still needs to show passion to keep the relationship on fire. The littlest romantic gestures can go a long way, and you’ll know that he’s really into you if he goes out of his way to be romantic.

Attentive

Another incredibly important quality is attentive. We as women like it when people listen to us speak, even if the stories are completely random and unimportant. Let’s just all save our mothers’ sanity by finding a man we can tell these stories to instead of them. If he really wants to be with you, then he’ll pay attention to every word you say. If he respects you, then he knows that you will respect him.

Faithful

Do me a favor and throw it back to some Carrie Underwood “Before He Cheats” before you go looking for a man. If you don’t think someone is trustworthy and faithful, steer clear. You’ll be saving yourself from heartbreak, and gaining five pounds in chocolate. If he has a history of being a cheater, chances are he won’t be changing anytime soon.

Adventurous

There’s a reason that jumping off of an incredibly tall object is in every season of The Bachelor. Being with a guy who is always up to have fun with you tells you that you really are special since he wants to share these moments with you. It’ll keep the relationship fun and interesting. It can be as simple as a snowball fight, or as extravagant as scaling down the side of a building. So the next time you’re meeting someone new, ask him how he feels about bungee jumping.

Positivity

We have all been told that we need to surround ourselves with positive people. You need a man who has a good outlook on life, and both of your futures. If he’s positive, then your friends will want him to be around when you’re hanging out, and it means that his friends will want to be around, too. A man who is positive about everything around him shows that he looks for the good in everything, and that he will be put-together, and it will make it a lot easier for you to enjoy life around someone like that.

Family Man

While you may not be thinking about whom you’re going to get married to one day, it is still important to check out how a guy treats his family. Whether it’s through hearing what he says about them, or actually having the dreaded awkward dinner with the parents, pay attention and take it seriously. Furthermore, there’s nothing more beautiful than a guy who plays with kids.

Honesty

Honesty will forever be the best policy. You need a guy who’s man enough to be able to tell you the truth at all times because he cares. It’ll put you at ease when you realize how trustworthy an honest man is. Make sure he’s honest in a gentleman-like way, not an offensive way. It may not be ideal to be told the harsh truth all the time, but in the long run you’ll realize it’s out of love. And if honesty can make you an even better person, welcome it with open arms.

Sense of Humor

They say that laughing is the best cure, and a guy with a good sense of humor will have you laughing and smiling all day. Someone who takes everything way too seriously will have you feeling like you’re walking around broken glass. Make sure it’s not an arrogant sense of humor. A comical guy should keep it fun and lighthearted. It also means he loves your smile and laugh if he makes the effort to be funny.