3 Films (and 1 Television Show) That Will Make You Want to Be a Journalist

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Elizabethtown chapter.

Journalism has been facing a great deal of opposition in the public lately, particularly since the 2016 election. While there are some journalists that are doing dishonest work, there are also many journalists that are working hard to ensure the public is well-informed. While many films and television series portray journalists negatively, there are countless still that show the hard work, dedication and intelligence that journalists possess. The following is a list of the best of those works; films and television series that paint heroic reporters and inspire many to pursue the field of journalism:

All the President’s Men (1976)

This one is a given. All the President’s Men is the epitome of journalism films. The Oscar-winning film, starring Dustin Hoffman as Carl Bernstein and Robert Redford as Bob Woodward, is about the real-life story of the Washington Post reporters who uncovered the Watergate scandal in 1972. The movie, which is based off the autobiographical book of the same name, allows audiences to see the amount of work and dedication that goes into the creation of a story. Most importantly, All the President’s Men shows the importance of journalism in a democracy.

Spotlight (2015)

Like All the President’s Men, Spotlight is quickly becoming an iconic journalism film after winning the Academy Award for Best Picture in 2016. Starring Mark Ruffalo, Rachel McAdams, Michael Keaton, Liev Schreiber, Brian d’Arcy James and Stanley Tucci, Spotlight tells the true story of the Boston Globe team that unearthed the scandal and cover-ups of molestation within the Catholic Church. Spotlight is a no-frills movie, where nothing is glamorous. The reporters shown just want to disseminate the truth.

The Newsroom (2012-2014)

The Emmy-winning show that was featured on HBO stars Jeff Daniels as Will McAvoy, a national news anchor, who, after gaining a new news team leads the charge in changing the way the network operates. The series, which also stars Emily Mortimer, John Gallagher Jr., Alison Pill, Thomas Sadoski, Dev Patel, Olivia Munn and Sam Waterston, shows the reporters of News Night with Will McAvoy as they navigate through real-life news stories from previous years, setting the show in the real world. By having the characters report on actual news stories, the writers allow audiences to focus on the work of the news story rather than the news story itself. All of the characters in The Newsroom are dedicated to ensuring the public is as well-informed as possible and bringing honor to journalism.

Almost Famous (2000)

Almost Famous is very different than the previously mentioned works, but it still showcases an amazing journalistic story. The film stars Patrick Fugit as a teenager that is given the opportunity to tour with a rock band and write about them for Rolling Stone. The Academy Award winning movie also stars Billy Crudup, Kate Hudson, Jason Lee and Philip Seymour Hoffman. The main character’s dive into journalism forces him to grow up quickly and teaches him more than he probably would have ever learned in school. The experience that he gains with this band teaches him not only about music and how to write but also allows him to experience life that he never would have in his small hometown.

Allison Hauser

Elizabethtown '19

Allison is a senior communications major with a film studies minor at Elizabethtown College.
Kristen Wade

Elizabethtown '19

Kristen Wade is a senior Communications major with a concentration in PR and a minor in Graphic Design at Elizabethtown College. Kristen loves hiking, shopping, and baking. After graduation, Kristen hopes to work in digital marketing.