#MeAt14

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ECU chapter.

This weekend, Roy Moore was accused of having sex with a 14-year old. Five different women have now come forward claiming that Roy Moore also had sex and/or sexually assaulted them while they were also minors. This man, Roy Copper, is running for US Senate in Alabama. Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell has come out and said that he believes the victims, and that he thinks Moore should step down from the race. Unfortunately, Roy Moore has no intention too drop out of the race.

Roy Moore, and yes I keep typing his name because this sort of evil should be known to everyone, is a terrible person. He is disgusting, and sees nothing wrong with what he has done, which I think makes it even worse, if that’s possible. This weekend the hashtag #Meat14 was trending. It was a sign that no one at 14 can concent to sex with a 30 year old adult. It is an abuse of power, and quite frankly should still be considered rape, not just statutory rape, in my opinion.

The last couple of weeks have been littered with reports of sexual assault. It breaks my heart to hear what these women, and so many other women who haven’t stepped forward, have experienced. No woman should leave her home and feel unsafe, and yet that’s the world we live in. This is our reality. So here it goes:

#Meat14 I loved Harry Potter, like obsessively so. I took three dance classes. I played soccer. I made only A’s and B’s. I had a lot of friends. I was not dating a 30 year old man.