Vogue attempts to better themselves and society

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Eckerd chapter.

We have always had the perception of models in the twenty first century to be skinny, young, and flawless. Unfortunately there has also been the negative connotation associated with modeling that many of these models have anorexia as well. Last year the famous international magazine, Vogue, made a change to that stereotype of models. Vogue has changed their policy on the models that they select and how they pre screen them. Age has been a huge issue with modeling over the years, due to the use of underage minors.  Some editors didn’t even know they were working with models under the age of 16. Casting directors are now starting to check identification to prevent using those who are underage. Health is also a concern and the casting directors would like to prevent endorsing eating disorders.

“The editors have also promised to encourage ‘healthy backstage working conditions’, including food options.” At Vogue photo shoots there will be better and more healthy options for models backstage to discourage eating disorders. Some chapters of Vogue like Italy and Spain will not allow certain models to walk the cat walk who are under a certain body mass index level (BMI).

“In the magazine house’s statement, Vogue editors said they would encourage designers ‘to consider the consequences of unrealistically small sample sizes of their clothing, which limits the range of women who can be photographed in their clothes, and encourages the use of extremely thin models’. Vogue is making a huge phenomenal change to their models and this is revolutionary in the support of women’s body types. It will be a long time before society will stop conforming to the notion of only “skinny is pretty” but this is a huge leap for women, fashion, and society.

So Collegiettes don’t get discouraged about your body types. Nothing is out of reach and living a healthy lifestyle will always be better than dying to be skinny. Like Vogue we must start accepting differnt ideas of beauty and promoting healthy weights.