Kristina Kontos: A Marine Scientist Inspired by a Movie

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Eckerd chapter.

Major(s): Marine Science and Psychology

Year: Junior

Hometown: Malden, MA

Age: 20 

This week’s campus celebrity is Kristina Kontos, the Resident Advisor of Beta Dante and a volunteer at the Marine Mammal Pathobiology Laboratory located on Eckerd College’s campus. Kristina says her favorite part of being an RA is her residents. She loves each and every one of them and although they often “keep her on her toes” she has lots of fun and finds the position very rewarding. Kristina was inspired to apply to be an RA because her older cousin was an RA and always told Kristina fun stories about her residents. Kristina also says that she is the “mom” of her group of friends and enjoys supporting others. She felt that being an RA would be a great way to get more involved at Eckerd and put her “mom” skills to use. 

In addition to being an RA, Kristina is double majoring in Marine Science and Psychology. As a young girl Kristina fell in love with Marine Science while watching Free Willy. She grew up in Boston and spent all her summers on the Cape. She loved growing up by the beach and the ocean year-round. As a child Kristina loved to go to the New England Aquarium but she confessed that she still goes there when she goes home. In the future Kristina hopes to go into Marine Mammal Rescue and Rehabilitation and feels that all of her hands on experiences at Eckerd will benefit her. Kristina says, “none of my friends back home can say they go out on boats for labs!” Most importantly, Eckerd’s “Think OUTside” motto has influenced Kristina the most because she has been pushed to think outside of her comfort zone and expand her boundaries. Surprisingly, Kristina’s favorite class at Eckerd is not a marine science class but genetics. Kristina loves biology and says that Dr. Flaherty’s teaching style and attitude made her want to come to class and learn. She says that Dr. Flaherty has an incredible ability to break things down and she’s always available and willing to help.

Kristina also volunteers at the Marine Mammal Pathobiology Laboratory here at Eckerd. A typical day at the MMPL for Kristina involves assisting in necropsies on manatees and other marine mammal carcasses to determine the cause of death. This includes labeling and taking samples, as well as helping in dissecting the carcass. Kristina has also participated in USGS manatee health assessments in Crystal River, Florida which includes: helping launch the manatee capture boat, assisting in boat-based releases, and assisting in pulling manatees on shore with a 400 foot net. She has also participated in pre-release health assessments on previously rescued manatees at Lowry Park Zoo in Tampa. 

Next time you see Kristina on campus be sure to say hi and ask her about getting involved with the MMPL. She recommends that people who want to participate just walk up and ask how they can volunteer.