Finals Survival Guide

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Eckerd chapter.
How to Survive Finals
By: Julia Tanquary

Finals can be extremely stressful, but don’t worry. Here are some tips to help you 
survive and even thrive!

1) Plan out a realistic study schedule well in advance

Avoid cramming the night before a final by making an organized study schedule. 
The schedule can be as vague as just listing what exams you plan on studying for on 
which day; you don’t need to list specific times. Stick to your schedule as much as 
possible to avoid extra, unnecessary stress. 

2) Get some rest

Many studies show that students perform best on exams when they have had 
around 8 hours of sleep. In an article, “Forget All-Night Studying, A Good Night’s 
Sleep Is Key to Doing Well on Exams” published by Harris Health, Dr. Philip Alapat 
says, “Memory recall and ability to maintain concentration are much improved 
when an individual is well rested.” While 8 hours may seem unreasonable, try to get 
as much rest as possible, at least the night before your exam. 

3) Try using the Pomodoro Technique to study

Studying can be frustrating and exhausting but it doesn’t have to be with this time 
management method. The Pomodoro Technique consists of five steps that were 
developed by Francesco Cirillo. The five steps are: 1) Decide on the task to be 
accomplished. (In this case pick which subject or material you want to study.) 2) Set 
a timer for a certain amount of minutes. (The traditional amount of time used in the 
Pomodoro Technique is 25 minutes but I prefer to double this time.) 3) Study only 
the predetermined material for the entire amount of time. 4) Take a break (If you 
only studied for 25 minutes consider a 5-minute break. If you studied for longer, try 
a 10 to 15 minute break.) 5) Every four “pomodori” take a longer break, 30 minutes 
to an hour. 

4) Study in different areas

According to an article in the New York Times, “Forget What You Know About Good 
Study Habits” by Benedict Carey, studying in different locations increases a person’s 
retention of material. Dr. Robert A. Bjork, a psychologist at University of California, 
Los Angeles, says, “… when the outside context is varied, the information is enriched, 
and this slows down forgetting.” So next time you choose where to study, shake 
things up, instead of always going to the library try the Palmetto Productions Café or South Beach on campus! 

5) Take care of yourself

Unfortunately, staying healthy on a college campus in December with the added 
stress of finals can be difficult but no one wants to take a 3-hour final when they 
have the flu. Do everything you can to keep yourself healthy. Wash your hands often, 
get plenty of rest, and most importantly, eat healthy, nourishing foods. 

Good luck!