When Your Roommate Is Your Best Friend

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Duke chapter.

For most people, having a roommate can be an inconvenience: an extra person to share an already small space, someone who always seems to be around when you want to be along, the source of a never ending mess.  Occasionally though, magic happens in the roommate process and two people end up together that don’t just coexist but completely click.  Here’s some things that happen when your roommate is your best friend.

1. All clothes are pretty much just shared property.  So are makeup, books, food, headphones, and just about anything else that either of you happen to own

2. You probably also share a Netflix account too.  How else could you watch Parks and Rec together?

3. You guys know pretty much everything there is to know about each other.  From past relationships to weird habits to middle school drama, nothing and I repeat nothing is off limits.

4. Your roommate is your go to person when you need to vent about anything in your life.

5. You probably also have photographic proof of her horrendous middle school faze that she pretends totally never existed.

6. She’s usually also the recipient of all of your two in the morning philosophical breakthroughs.

7. Your friends know that if they want you to go somewhere they better invite her as well.

8. Actually, they usually just text one of you with the assumption that the others definitely coming as well.

9. Over breaks you text each other constantly as you deal with some major separation anxiety.  You also snapchat, Facebook message, and tweet.

10. Speaking of snapchat, that streak may extend as far back as O-week.

11. You both have some serious blackmail material on each other from nights out that became either significantly too memorable or not at all and it’s an unspoken agreement that those nights will never and I repeat NEVER be spoken of again.

12. Well, except for when they tease you endlessly about it the following morning right before bringing you advil and some water.

13. On nights that don’t go as planned, all it takes is a single text for her to come back to the room with a pint of Ben and Jerry’s.